ANN: PyQt v4.8.1 Released

Phil Thompson

PyQt v4.8.1 has been released and is available from
http://www.riverbankcomputing.com/software/pyqt/.

PyQt is a comprehensive set of bindings for the Qt application and UI
framework from Nokia. It supports the same platforms as Qt (Windows,
Linux and MacOS/X).

PyQt supports Python v3 and Python v2.3 and later.

The highlight of this release is full support for Qt v4.7.0 including
the ability to integrate Python with QML, the new declarative markup
language for building highly dynamic user interfaces.

Windows installers are provided for the GPL version of PyQt which contains
everything needed for PyQt development (including Qt, Qt Designer,
QScintilla, and MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite and ODBC drivers) except Python
itself.

PyQt v4 is implemented as a set of 19 extension modules containing over
400 classes and over 6,000 functions and methods.

QtCore
The non-GUI infrastructure including event loops, threads, i18n,
Unicode, signals and slots, user and application settings, mapped
files and shared memory.

QtDeclarative
A set of classes that implement a framework for building highly
dynamic user interfaces using the QML declarative language that can be
integrated with Python.

QtDesigner
A set of classes that allow the Qt Designer GUI design tool to be
extended with PyQt.

QtGui
A rich collection of GUI widgets.

QtHelp
A set of classes for creating and viewing searchable documentation and
being able to integrate online help with PyQt applications. It
includes the C++ port of the Lucene text search engine.

QtNetwork
A set of classes to support TCP and UDP socket programming and higher
level protocols (eg. HTTP, SSL).

QtOpenGL
A set of classes that allows PyOpenGL to render onto Qt widgets.

QtScript
A set of classes that implements a JavaScript interpreter. Python
objects may be exposed in the interpreter as JavaScript objects.

QtScriptTools
A debugger for the JavaScript interpreter.

QtSql
A set of classes that implement SQL data models and interfaces to
industry standard databases. The Windows installers include support
for SQLite, MySQL, PostgreSQL and ODBC.

QtSvg
A set of classes to render SVG files onto Qt widgets.

QtTest
A set of classes to automate unit testing of PyQt applications and
GUIs.

QtWebKit
This implements a web browser engine based on the WebKit engine used
by Apple's Safari browser. It allows the methods and properties of
Python objects to be published and appear as JavaScript objects to
scripts embedded in HTML pages.

QtXML
A set of classes that implement DOM and SAX parsers.

QtXMLPatterns
A set of classes that implement XQuery and XPath support for XML and
custom data models.

QAxContainer
A set of classes for Windows that allows the integration of ActiveX
controls and COM objects.

phonon
A cross-platform multimedia framework that enables the use of audio
and video content in PyQt applications. DirectX is used as the
Windows backend, QuickTime as the MacOS/X backend, and GStreamer as
the Linux backend.

QtMultimedia
A set of classes that provide low-level multimedia functions.
Application developers would normally use the phonon module.

DBus
PyQt includes dbus.mainloop.qt that allows the Qt event loop to be
used with the standard DBus Python bindings.

PyQt includes the pyuic4 utility which generates Python code to implement
user interfaces created with Qt Designer in the same way that the uic
utility generates C++ code. It is also able to load Designer XML files
dynamically.

PyQt is available under the GPL and a commercial license. Unlike Qt, PyQt
is not available under the LGPL. The commercial PyQt license allows GPL
applications to be relicensed at any time.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Phil said:
PyQt is available under the GPL and a commercial license.

Surely you mean “proprietary†rather than “commercialâ€. There is nothing
about the GPL that prevents “commercial†use.

Дамјан ГеоргиевÑки

PyQt is available under the GPL and a commercial license.
Surely you mean “proprietary†rather than “commercialâ€. There is
nothing about the GPL that prevents “commercial†use.

I think he means a license that *he* sells comercially :)

--
дамјан ((( http://damjan.softver.org.mk/ )))

Religion ends and philosophy begins,
just as alchemy ends and chemistry begins
and astrology ends, and astronomy begins.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Дамјан ГеоргиевÑки said:
I think he means a license that *he* sells comercially :)

Presumably that’s a proprietary licence.

Steve Holden

Presumably that’s a proprietary licence.

I don't see why. GPL v2, for example, has nothing to say about the price
charged for the software: simply that the source must be made available.

regards
Steve

Robert Kern

I don't see why. GPL v2, for example, has nothing to say about the price
charged for the software: simply that the source must be made available.

Given the context, "PyQt is available under the GPL and a commercial license,"
the commercial license Phil is talking about is not the GPL.

--
Robert Kern

an underlying truth."
-- Umberto Eco

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Robert Kern said:
Given the context, "PyQt is available under the GPL and a commercial
license," the commercial license Phil is talking about is not the GPL.

Which is a wrong interpretation of “commercialâ€.

Дамјан ГеоргиевÑки

Given the context, "PyQt is available under the GPL and a commercial
Which is a wrong interpretation of “commercialâ€.

But he is not interpreting either “commercial†or GPL.

What he says is: here's the code for free (gratis, no price) under the
GPL, but if you don't like it, I also offer it commercially (under an
undisclosed license, maybe a custom one as required by the client).

He is NOT offering the GPL version commercially, even if that's allowed
by the GPL.

For ex. You are free to do it, it's that he is not doing it (or just not
advertising it - I'm sure he wouldn't mind someone paying for the GPL
version either).

--
дамјан ((( http://damjan.softver.org.mk/ )))

Robert Kern

But he is not interpreting either “commercial†or GPL.

What he says is: here's the code for free (gratis, no price) under the
GPL, but if you don't like it, I also offer it commercially (under an
undisclosed license, maybe a custom one as required by the client).

Right. In this case, "commercial" describes the way he is offering the license,
not what uses of the software the license allows. Everyone here knew exactly
what he meant.

--
Robert Kern

an underlying truth."
-- Umberto Eco

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Robert Kern said:
Everyone here knew exactly what he meant.

But if you don’t banana the right tomato, everybody could be grapefruit,
right?

You know what I mean.

Robert Kern

But if you don’t banana the right tomato, everybody could be grapefruit,
right?

You know what I mean.

And as I reiterated in the part that you snipped, he is not using "commercial"
as a synonym for "proprietary". It is the license that he sells commercially.

--
Robert Kern

an underlying truth."
-- Umberto Eco

Hans-Peter Jansen

Am Monday 08 November 2010 02:26:51 schrieb Robert Kern:
And as I reiterated in the part that you snipped, he is not using
"commercial" as a synonym for "proprietary". It is the license that he
sells commercially.

..with a pretty affordable price, I may add.

I don't understand all the fuzz about some obvious formulation. It it a
concern only for those who want to _sell_ their _products_ based on PyQt and
consequently don't want to reveal their source code.

Pete

(Not being afflicted in any way with Riverbankcomputing, other than being a
satisfied commercial licencee).