Edit a SQL Server 2005 XML column in ASP.NET

Greg Collins [Microsoft MVP]

Hi. I've been trying to figure this out for a couple weeks now and have posted various pleas for help, but so far I've not been able to find the magic I need to make this happen. This can't be too uncommon of a scenario. Certainly someone has done this before.

What I'm trying to do is the following:

1. Pull XML from an MS SQL Server 2005 XML column.
2. Load it into a DataSet (unless there's a better way).
3. Bind it to some ASP.NET control(s) for editing.
4. Allow user to editing of the data in the web page.
5. Get the updated data from the control(s) as XML
6. Post it back to the SQL XML column.

I can do 1-4 above... but for the life of me can't get step 5 to work.

Does someone have a simple bare-bones example of the above 6 steps actually working that they can post for me to examine/review?

Petar Atanasov

Greg said:
Hi. I've been trying to figure this out for a couple weeks now and have posted various pleas for help, but so far I've not been able to find the magic I need to make this happen. This can't be too uncommon of a scenario. Certainly someone has done this before.

What I'm trying to do is the following:

1. Pull XML from an MS SQL Server 2005 XML column.
2. Load it into a DataSet (unless there's a better way).
3. Bind it to some ASP.NET control(s) for editing.
4. Allow user to editing of the data in the web page.
5. Get the updated data from the control(s) as XML
6. Post it back to the SQL XML column.

I can do 1-4 above... but for the life of me can't get step 5 to work.

Does someone have a simple bare-bones example of the above 6 steps actually working that they can post for me to examine/review?

Hi, Greg
check out this:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/58a18dwa.aspx

What's exactly your case - you need to serialize the whole dataset,
or a given column ?

Regards,
Petar Atanasov
http://a-wake.net

TheSQLGuru

Use a table for the values on the form instead of XML? :))

--
TheSQLGuru
President