Editing a file's properties with Perl in Windows

beartiger

Does anyone know how to edit a file's properties using Perl?

For example, in XP, if you right click a file and select Properties
then select the Summary tag you get the following editable fields:

Title
Subject
Author
Category
Keywords
Comments

I have a huge load of files where I'd like the "Title" to be simply the
same as the filename.

TIA,

Bob Walton

Does anyone know how to edit a file's properties using Perl?

For example, in XP, if you right click a file and select Properties
then select the Summary tag you get the following editable fields:

Title
Subject
Author
Category
Keywords
Comments

Well, I don't know how to do it, but I do know that these fields
of information are available only on drives that are formatted as
NTFS. This information is not available, for example, for files
on FAT32 drives. You might want to look for modules dealing with
NTFS stuff.

John Bokma

wrote:
Does anyone know how to edit a file's properties using Perl?

For example, in XP, if you right click a file and select Properties
then select the Summary tag you get the following editable fields:

Title
Subject
Author
Category
Keywords
Comments

I have a huge load of files where I'd like the "Title" to be simply the
same as the filename.

http://www.fileguru.com/explorer-utilities/1209.html

Not Perl, but maybe useful.

Sisyphus

Does anyone know how to edit a file's properties using Perl?

For example, in XP, if you right click a file and select Properties
then select the Summary tag you get the following editable fields:

Title
Subject
Author
Category
Keywords
Comments

I have a huge load of files where I'd like the "Title" to be simply the
same as the filename.

http://search.cpan.org/~rpagitsch/Win32-File-Summary-0.05/

Looks to me that will retrieve the info you're after - though I'm not so
confident that it allows you to edit those fields. Perhaps for that there's
a Windows API function that you can access with Inline::C or Win32::API.

Cheers,
Rob