Perl Newbie

Rob Hoyer

Hello,

I am using a free script from thesitewizard.com to sendmail a feedback form.

Everything was working great but I need more input fields on the form. The
HTML was no problem but I busted the script. (please see below my
modifications)

I am not sure how to define variable or even if you need to.

Thanks,
Rob Hoyer
(e-mail address removed)

first modification:

my $user = $form{"user"} ;
if (($user eq "") || ($user =~ /[\r\n]/)) {
redirect_url( $errorurl );
exit ;
}

my $phone = $form{"phone"} ;
if (($phone eq "") || ($phone =~ /[\r\n]/)) {
redirect_url( $errorurl );
exit ;
}

second modification:

"------------------------------------------------------------\n" .
"Name of Company: " . $name . "\n"
"Name of Contact: " . $user . "\n"
"Phone Number: " . $phone . "\n" .
"Email of sender: " . $email . "\n" .

Whole Script:
#!/usr/local/bin/perl

##!/usr/bin/perl
# chfeedback.pl Feedback Form Perl Script Ver 2.2.3
# Generated by thesitewizard.com's Feedback Form Wizard.
# Copyright 2000-2008 by Christopher Heng. All rights reserved.
#
# thesitewizard and thefreecountry are trademarks of Christopher Heng.
#
# Get the latest version, free, from:
# http://www.thesitewizard.com/wizards/feedbackform.shtml
#
# You can read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) at:
# http://www.thesitewizard.com/wizards/faq.shtml
#
# I can be contacted at:
# http://www.thesitewizard.com/feedback.php
# Note that I do not normally respond to questions that have
# already been answered in the FAQ, so *please* read the FAQ.
#
#
# LICENCE TERMS
#
# 1. You may use this script on your website, with or
# without modifications, free of charge.
#
# 2. You may NOT distribute or republish this script, whether
# modified or not. The script can only be distributed by the author,
# Christopher Heng.
#
# 3. THE SCRIPT AND ITS DOCUMENTATION ARE PROVIDED
# "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, NOT EVEN THE
# IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MECHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A
# PARTICULAR PURPOSE. YOU AGREE TO BEAR ALL RISKS AND
# LIABILITIES ARISING FROM THE USE OF THE SCRIPT,
# ITS DOCUMENTATION AND THE INFORMATION PROVIDED BY THE
# SCRIPTS AND THE DOCUMENTATION.
#
# If you cannot agree to any of the above conditions, you
# may not use the script.
#
# Although it is NOT required, I would be most grateful
# if you could also link to thesitewizard.com at:
#
# http://www.thesitewizard.com/
#

# ---------- USER CONFIGURATION SECTION ---------------
# Before this script will do anything useful, the following
# variables must be set.
#
# MANDATORY VARIABLES
# $mailprog - the location of your mail program and the parameters
# to pass to it.
# eg $mailprog = "/usr/lib/sendmail" ;
# $mailto - email address where the feedback will be sent
# eg, $mailto = '(e-mail address removed)' ;
# $subject - the subject line in the email sent by the feedback form
# eg $subject = "Feedback Form" ;
#
# $formurl - the URL of your feedback form
# eg $formurl = "http://www.example.com/feedback.html" ;
# $thankyouurl - the URL of your thank you page
# eg $thankyouurl = "http://www.example.com/thanks.html" ;
# $errorurl - the URL of your error page
# eg $errorurl = "http://www.example.com/error.html" ;

$mailprog = "/usr/lib/sendmail" ;
$mailto = '(e-mail address removed)' ;
$subject = "Web Support Request" ;
$formurl = "http://www.alttek.ca/support.html" ;
$errorurl = "http://www.alttek.ca/error.html" ;
$thankyouurl = "http://www.alttek.ca/thankyou.html" ;

# ---------- END OF USER CONFIGURATION SECTION ------------

# ---------- functions -----------
sub redirect_url {
my ( $url ) = shift ;
print "Location: $url\n\n" ;
}

sub parse_form_data {
my ($request_method, $input_string, $content_length) ;
my (@vars, $indiv_var, $name, $value);
my (%form) ;

$request_method = $ENV{'REQUEST_METHOD'} ;
$content_length = $ENV{'CONTENT_LENGTH'} ;

# load the entire string into $input_string
if ($request_method =~ /post/i) {
$input_string = "" ;
read( STDIN, $input_string, $content_length ) ;
}
else {
$input_string = $ENV{ 'QUERY_STRING' };
}
unless (defined $input_string) {
$input_string = "" ;
}

# put all the variable pairs (name=value) into an array
@vars = split( /&/, $input_string );

# process each individual name, value pair, putting them
# into a hash for easy access
foreach $indiv_var ( @vars ) {

# separate the pair
($name, $value) = split( /=/, $indiv_var, 2 );

# translate encoding
$name =~ s/%([\da-fA-F]{2})/pack("C", hex($1))/eg;
$name =~ tr/+/ /;
unless (defined $value) {
# just in case there was no equals as in ISINDEX
$value = "" ;
}
$value =~ s/%([\da-fA-F]{2})/pack("C", hex($1))/eg;
$value =~ tr/+/ /;

# put the pair in the hash for easy access
$form{$name} = $value ;
}

return wantarray ? %form : undef ;
}

sub send_email {
my ($mailprog, $email, $name, $mailto, $subject, $message) = @_ ;

if (open MAIL, "|$mailprog -t") {
print MAIL "To: $mailto\n" ;
print MAIL "From: \"$name\" <$email>\n" ;
print MAIL "Reply-To: \"$name\" <$email>\n" ;
print MAIL "X-Mailer: chfeedback.pl 2.2.3\n" ;
print MAIL "Subject: $subject\n\n" ;
print MAIL $message ;
close MAIL ;
}
# ignore fails, just don't do anything

return ;
}

# ----------- main program ------

my %form = parse_form_data();

my $email ;
if (exists $form{"email"}) {
$email = $form{"email"} ;
}
else {
redirect_url( $formurl );
exit ;
}
if (($email eq "") || ($email =~ /[\r\n]/)) {
redirect_url( $errorurl );
exit ;
}

my $name = $form{"name"} ;
if (($name eq "") || ($name =~ /[\r\n]/)) {
redirect_url( $errorurl );
exit ;
}

my $user = $form{"user"} ;
if (($user eq "") || ($user =~ /[\r\n]/)) {
redirect_url( $errorurl );
exit ;
}

my $phone = $form{"phone"} ;
if (($phone eq "") || ($phone =~ /[\r\n]/)) {
redirect_url( $errorurl );
exit ;
}

my $comments = $form{'comments'} ;
if ($comments eq "") {
redirect_url( $errorurl );
exit ;
}

my $http_referer = $ENV{ 'HTTP_REFERER' };
my $message =
"This message was sent from:\n" .
"$http_referer\n" .
"------------------------------------------------------------\n" .
"Name of Company: " . $name . "\n"
"Name of Contact: " . $user . "\n"
"Phone Number: " . $phone . "\n" .
"Email of sender: " . $email . "\n" .
"------------------------- COMMENTS -------------------------\n\n" .
$comments .
"\n\n------------------------------------------------------------\n" ;

send_email ( $mailprog, $email, $name, $mailto, $subject, $message );
redirect_url( $thankyouurl );

Tad J McClellan

Subject: Perl Newbie

Please put the subject of your article in the Subject of your article.

Your article is not about you, so you should not say that is
is about you.

I am using a free script

It is worth less than what you paid for it.

from thesitewizard.com to sendmail a feedback form.

Everything was working great but I need more input fields on the form.

What happened when you contacted the author for support?

Did you contact the author there as suggested?

# LICENCE TERMS
# 2. You may NOT distribute or republish this script, whether
# modified or not. The script can only be distributed by the author,
# Christopher Heng.

Violating law in a public place is not a good idea.

Simon Andrews

Rob said:
Hello,

I am using a free script from thesitewizard.com to sendmail a feedback form.

Everything was working great but I need more input fields on the form. The
HTML was no problem but I busted the script.

It seems that you are unable to show the full script you are working
with. I'd therefore suggest the use of an open, and well reviewed
solution to the same problem:

http://nms-cgi.sourceforge.net/

...specifically the FormMail script at the top of:

http://nms-cgi.sourceforge.net/scripts.shtml

...which includes plenty of documentation and examples to help you do do
what you need.

Simon.