elminate the hanging processes

Simon

My webhosting company cut off my website the other day
because i had "too many hanging processes"

What does this mean and what can i do to prevent this from
happening. They gave me the following readout...

X 13:02:32.954 24 844 933 Preproc headers
24.101.225.120 111433 ns
0 un GET
http://www.sny.ca/investing/institution_productdetails.asp?
InvestmentProductID=12
X 13:02:40.626 24 837 261 Authentication
24.101.225.120 111454 ns 0
un GET
http://www.sny.ca/investing/search.asp?
t=30&MinInvestment=1&RSPEligibility=2&cmdRefresh=Refresh
X 13:08:27.287 24 490 599 Authentication
24.101.225.120 112977 ns 0
un GET
ResellersLive (4:52:21 PM):
http://www.sny.ca/investing/search.asp?
t=30&MinInvestment=1&RSPEligibility=2&cmdRefresh=Refresh
X 13:09:19.327 24 438 560 Authentication
24.101.225.120 113243 ns 0
un GET
http://www.sny.ca/investing/search.asp?
t=0&MinInvestment=1&RSPEligibility=2&cmdRefresh=Refresh
X 13:48:50.103 22 067 783 Authentication
24.101.225.120 126007 ns 0
un GET
http://www.sny.ca/investing/search.asp?
t=0&MinInvestment=0&RSPEligibility=2&cmdRefresh=Refresh
X 13:49:06.738 22 051 149 Preproc headers
24.101.225.120 126128 ns

ResellersLive (4:52:23 PM): 0 un GET
http://www.sny.ca/X 19:50:43.529 354 357 Preproc
headers 24.101.225.120 232810 ns 0un
GEThttp://www.sny.ca/investing/institution_productdetails.a
sp?InvestmentProductID=5X 19:55:04.647 93 240 Preproc
headers 24.101.225.120 233802 ns 0un
GEThttp://www.sny.ca/investing/institution_productdetails.a
sp?InvestmentProductID=5X 19:55:11.318 86 569
Authentication 24.101.225.120 233832 ns 0
unGEThttp://www.sny.ca/investing/institution_productdetails
..asp?InvestmentProductID=12X 19:55:54.075 43 812
Authentication 24.101.225.120 233958 ns 0
unGEThttp://www.sny.ca/investing/search.asp?
t=0&MinInvestment=0&RSPEligibility=0&OrderByRSP.x=31&OrderB
yRSP.y=7

I haven't a clue what all that means. My website used two
databases that i connected through without and ODBC
connection (i gave ADO the real path of the database file
on every open)

The typial website had about 5-10 include files and i
always closed my rs at the end of every asp file.

Throughout the site i use the CreateObject method (used on
all of the above listed files). I do not set them to null
at the end of hte asp file - should i?

Anything else?

I know in VB i can use the Unload command to unload the
form, and i can use hte END command to end the program
(albiet a crude way of doing so), is there anything like
this in asp?

please help!

Siomn
(e-mail address removed)

joe

Are you doing anything to help limit the impact of abandoned processes where
the object hasn't been unloaded through your code?

Not sure if that would cause your problem but it's worth a thought.

ASP.Net performs a cleanup for such things that I don't believe ASP does.

joe

One other thing ....are you using a detached dataset when hitting your
database? Are you using Views vs the actual tables? Is your host
complaining about Database processes or your application processes?

Simon

If I understand you correctly, i think your asking if i do
anything to close the recordset or null the object
variables if the user hits the Stop button before the page
loads. If I'm right, the answer is no - how do i go about
doing that?

Simon
(e-mail address removed)

Simon

I'd love to upgrade, but i cant afford VStudio.NET so i'm
just trying to make do for now.

As for my host they're not saying. They're only response
is "everything we found is explained up there (in the IIS
Trace readout)" and "you need to ask your programmer that".

I can easily quote them because their only means of "real-
time" tech support is through IM. - You get what you pay
for.

As for the database, i dont create a database object... i
open the recordset as follows....

<%
Option Explicit

Dim sConnectionString
sConnectionSring = "Driver={Microsoft Access Driver
(*.mdb)};DBQ=" & Server.MapPath("../cgi-bin/sny.mdb") & ";"

Dim rs
Set rs = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.recordset")
rs.Open "Institutions",sConnectionSring
rs.MoveFirst
Response.Write rs("InstitutionName")
rs.Close

%>

Well okay, maybe my webpages arn't that dull, but besides
the standard html, thats about it. Anything i can do to
keep "this is unacceptable" website from crashing?

Simon

Kewl, I'll give it a try. Hopefully i wont get cut off
this time. Thanks Joe and Bob for all your help!

Best wishes,

Simon