Embed tag is driving me crazy!!

Robert Scheer

Hi.

My site uses the embed tag to play some sounds. All my customers are
using the site without problems except one of them. This particular
customer says that one of the sounds of the page won't play, though
the other two sound files play ok. All the three files are .wav files.
This customer uses IE 6.0 SP1 under Windows 98 SE. Can anyone help me
to discover what the problem can be?

The tag I have is:
<embed src="Sounds/Buzzer.wav" height="0" width="0"
autostart="true"></embed>

Thanks,
Robert Scheer

Jukka K. Korpela

My site uses the embed tag to play some sounds. All my customers are
using the site without problems except one of them.

Then they are either special kind of people, or the tag does not actually
"work" for them.
This particular
customer says that one of the sounds of the page won't play,

Some people might say this is the thing that is _not_ a problem.
The tag I have is:
<embed src="Sounds/Buzzer.wav" height="0" width="0"
autostart="true"></embed>

Do you expect us to be able to access the actual page and the actual wav
file with this information, or shall we engage our ESP now?

The good old rule (for noise/sound/music on the Web) is "link, don't
embed". Set up a normal link, with descriptive link text. This may or may
not fix the problem that the individual has, but it'll fix some other
problems anyway.