enableEventValidation in ASP.Net v1.1

UJ

I have an ASP.Net v1.1 application that gets the error
Error Message:Invalid postback or callback argument. Event validation is
enabled using <pages enableEventValidation="true"/> in configuration or <%@
Page EnableEventValidation="true" %> in a page. For security purposes, this
feature verifies that arguments to postback or callback events originate
from the server control that originally rendered them. If the data is valid
and expected, use the ClientScriptManager.RegisterForEventValidation method
in order to register the postback or callback data for validation.

Everything I have seen on the web talks about making the change in 2.0 but
it doesn't work in 1.1. What do I do to fix this problem?

TIA - J.