Error connecting to DB from website

minckle

hi, i am trying to get an enquiry form into a database, but i keep
getting the following error:

Microsoft JET Database Engine (0x80004005)
Not a valid file name.

The website and database are on different servers.

i am using the following connection string:

Dim conn
Set conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
conn.open "PROVIDER=MICROSOFT.JET.OLEDB.4.0;DATA
SOURCE=http:\\www.inckle.co.uk\database\Enquiry_DB.mdb"

That is definately the correct path for the database

Im running a simple INSERT query, which i know works

Can anyone give me some advice???

Are there any specific security settings i should be looking at?? or
can it be something else??

thanks..

Jeff Cochran

hi, i am trying to get an enquiry form into a database, but i keep
getting the following error:

Microsoft JET Database Engine (0x80004005)
Not a valid file name.

The website and database are on different servers.

i am using the following connection string:

Dim conn
Set conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
conn.open "PROVIDER=MICROSOFT.JET.OLEDB.4.0;DATA
SOURCE=http:\\www.inckle.co.uk\database\Enquiry_DB.mdb"

That is definately the correct path for the database

Im running a simple INSERT query, which i know works

Can anyone give me some advice???

Are there any specific security settings i should be looking at?? or
can it be something else??

FAQ:

Why do I get database-related 80004005 errors?
http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2009
Why do I get non-database-related 80004005 errors?
http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2413

Jeff

Mike Brind

minckle said:
hi, i am trying to get an enquiry form into a database, but i keep
getting the following error:

Microsoft JET Database Engine (0x80004005)
Not a valid file name.

The website and database are on different servers.

i am using the following connection string:

Dim conn
Set conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
conn.open "PROVIDER=MICROSOFT.JET.OLEDB.4.0;DATA
SOURCE=http:\\www.inckle.co.uk\database\Enquiry_DB.mdb"

That is definately the correct path for the database

That's no path - it's a URL.

And the last thing you want to be doing is to give the URL of your mdb
file on usenet. Anyone reading this can download a copy of your
database. Move the database now.

Do not store mdb files in in the root directory structure of web sites.
Move it outside of the root.

As far as connecting to an Access file on a different server to your
web site, you need to look at this:
http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2168