Error when deploying to production server

Simon Harris

Hi All,

I've just tried to deploy an asp.net app. It works AOK on my
development server. On the production server, I get the error below.

Both servers are Windows 2000 SP4 with .Net Framework v1.1.4322

I copied the following to our production server:

- Various ASPX and 1 ASCX files to /netapps/gis
- 3 x DLLs (Result of my project build on dev server) to /netapps/bin
- Appsettings keys to machine.config (As they are in dev server)

There are two webreferences to web services in this project - Do I need to
copy anything across related to these?

Note that I have verified that the production server can access the web
services sites.

Many Thanks,

Simon.

Error:
------

Stack Trace:

object.]
gis.GIS_Mapping.GetMapScaleInt(ImageButton MapImage)
gis.map_display.SetScaleLable()
gis.map_display.RenderMapDisplay()
gis.map_and_property_info.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)

Patrick Olurotimi Ige

Simon the error:- Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
could be anything as little as possible..
For example not declaring a label control!

Try re deploying it or try forcing out another error.
Patrick

Simon Harris

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your reply.

When you say deploy, do you mean copy to a server? Or is there a specific
method within VS to deploy a project? I understand what the error means, I
just dont see why it works on my development server, but not when I copy
it
to my production server.

If anyone has any suggestions on this, I'd really appreciate it - I'm
supposed to be putting this app live on Tuesday.

Regards,
Simon.

Simon Harris

Solved it - I had not copied across global.asax, within which I was
initiating a session which stored a reference to a web service. Always the
simple stuff that gets ya! Doh! :)