Error while adding a sql and a AD prvider in web.config

siddharthkhare

Hi All,
can some one please help me with this.......

As soon as i start my application ASP.net throws and error while
reading the providers from config file.
I am trying to add a sql and a AD provider.
If i comment out the AD provider part all works fine.

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<configuration>

<connectionStrings>

<add name="SqlServices" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"
connectionString="workstation id='Some work Station';packet
size=4096;user id=SomeUser;data source=SOME;persist security
info=True;initial catalog=SOME;password=SOME"/>

<add name="ADConnectionString" connectionString="LDAP://SomeLDAP
PAth" />

</connectionStrings>

<appSettings/>
<!-- <connectionStrings/> -->

<system.web>
<!--
Set compilation debug="true" to insert debugging
symbols into the compiled page. Because this
affects performance, set this value to true only
during development.
-->
<compilation debug="true">

</compilation>
<!--
The <authentication> section enables configuration
of the security authentication mode used by
ASP.NET to identify an incoming user.
-->
<authentication mode="Windows" />
<!--
The <customErrors> section enables configuration
of what to do if/when an unhandled error occurs
during the execution of a request. Specifically,
it enables developers to configure html error pages
to be displayed in place of a error stack trace.

<customErrors mode="RemoteOnly"
defaultRedirect="GenericErrorPage.htm">
<error statusCode="403" redirect="NoAccess.htm" />
<error statusCode="404" redirect="FileNotFound.htm" />
</customErrors>
-->

<roleManager defaultProvider="SqlProvider1"
enabled="true"
cacheRolesInCookie="true"
cookieName=".ASPROLES"
cookieTimeout="30"
cookiePath="/"
cookieRequireSSL="false"
cookieSlidingExpiration="true"
cookieProtection="All" >
<providers>
<add
name="SqlProvider1"
type="System.Web.Security.SqlRoleProvider"
connectionStringName="SqlServices"
applicationName="SampleApplication" />
</providers>
</roleManager>
<membership defaultProvider="SqlProvider1"
userIsOnlineTimeWindow="15">
<providers>
<clear />
<add
name="SqlProvider1"
type="System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider"
connectionStringName="SqlServices"
applicationName="MyApplication"
enablePasswordRetrieval="false"
enablePasswordReset="true"
requiresQuestionAndAnswer="false"
requiresUniqueEmail="false"
passwordFormat="Hashed"
minRequiredPasswordLength="3"
minRequiredNonalphanumericCharacters="0"/>

<add name="MyADMembershipProvider"
type="System.Web.Security.ActiveDirectoryMembershipProvider,
System.Web, Version=2.0.0.0,Culture=neutral,
PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"
connectionStringName="ADConnectionString"
connectionUsername="SomeUserName" connectionPassword="SomePassword"/
</providers>
</membership>
<profile defaultProvider="SqlProvider1">
<providers>
<clear />
<add name="SqlProvider"
type="System.Web.Profile.SqlProfileProvider"
connectionStringName="SqlServices"
applicationName="SampleApplication"
description="SqlProfileProvider for SampleApplication" / </providers>
</profile>

</system.web>

</configuration>

Thanks
Siddharth

Guest

[...]

ActiveDirectoryMembershipProvider uses an Active Directory or ADAM,
SqlMembershipProvider uses a SQL Server user store. Do you mean you
need to use both in the same time?

siddharthkhare

yes. i am writing a common reusable web service that will do
authentication and authorization.

some consumers of this web service will use sql authentication and
some might use AD.

i need to be able to programticaly pick the right provider depending
upon what consumer of the this web service wants i.e authenticate
agagin sql or AD.
Thanks
Siddharth

siddharthkhare

two questions..
1. is it possible to add amultiple Ad and multiple sql provider in
memebership section within same web.config file?
2.I tried just by adding only one AD provider in the web.config file
that I have posted above and that also failed. this time i had removed
sql provider.So makes me think could it be be that when .net reads
providers it validates them also such as LDAP path etc.. and may be
that is wrong or i don't reuired permissons etc...could that be
causing it.
Thanks
siddharth