Ethernet packet size python

K-man

Hi,
I am sending data using the socket interface in python, but I want
to know how big the ethernet packet size is (in bytes). I didn't
really see a way using the socket library of how to do this. Any
suggestions?

Steve Holden

K-man said:
Hi,
I am sending data using the socket interface in python, but I want
to know how big the ethernet packet size is (in bytes). I didn't
really see a way using the socket library of how to do this. Any
suggestions?

There is no way to know what size Ethernet packets will result from
specific traffic. Or do you want to know the MTU size (largest possible
Ethernet packet size)? This shouldn't really matter, since large TCP
messages will be split into a sequence of IP datagrams, and large IP
datagrams will be automatically fragmented and then reassembled at the
other end.

Is there a specific reason this is important to you?

regards
Steve

K-man

There is no way to know what size Ethernet packets will result from
specific traffic. Or do you want to know the MTU size (largest possible
Ethernet packet size)? This shouldn't really matter, since large TCP
messages will be split into a sequence of IP datagrams, and large IP
datagrams will be automatically fragmented and then reassembled at the
other end.

Is there a specific reason this is important to you?

regards
 Steve

I am trying to determine the actual network link speed.