Even I disable the ViewState property, I still see the hidden field _VIEWSTATE

Umut Tezduyar

I want to get rid of the hidden field _VIEWSTATE.

I tried these:

I tried to disable ViewState property.
I tried to override Page's RegisterHiddenField method.
I tried to override Page's SavePageStateToPersistenceMedium.

None of them worked.

Any suggestions?

Teemu Keiski

Hi,

overriding SavePageStateToPersistenceMedium (and then equally
LoadPageStateFromPersistenceMedium) is the solution in ASP.NET 1.x. With
ASP.NET 2.0, you could just provide your own PageStatePersister class to
override the behaviour (or use the built.in SessionPageStatePersister class)

This article also gives some insight:
http://aspalliance.com/472

Guest

The _VIEWSTATE hidden field will always be there for an ASP.NET page, but if
you've diabled viewstate then its contents will be tiny and mostly empty,
only filled with minimal data that ASP.NET requires to function properly.

Ravi Ambros Wallau

Even on this case, __VIEWSTATE still exists as a hidden field...
You should not care about it...