excel library without COM

james_027

Hi,

is there any library to help me write excel files without using win
com? because i'll be working on linux platform. At the same time I
could want to perform some formatting, merging of cells. adding sheets
and etc ...

Thanks
james

kyosohma

Hi,

is there any library to help me write excel files without using win
com? because i'll be working on linux platform. At the same time I
could want to perform some formatting, merging of cells. adding sheets
and etc ...

Thanks
james

I'm not aware of any modules. However, this thread is on the same
topic and it mentions using html or txt files as possibilities:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2002-April/138748.html

I would also think that you could write some kind of custom XML parser/
creator that you could use to create the Excel sheet's structure and
then interface with COM later.

Mike

james_027

Sure does :) However the "rd" in "xlrd" is short for "ReaD". As
Waldemar suggested, "xlwt" ("wt" as in WriTe) is more like what the OP
needs.

Cheers,
John

Thanks to all who have contributed. I have one concern though. Many of
the module seems to be not active anymore? or updated? It is because
it really stable and has most of the features needed?

Thanks
james

John Machin

Thanks to all who have contributed. I have one concern though. Many of
the module seems to be not active anymore? or updated? It is because
it really stable and has most of the features needed?

xlwt is active, stable enough for heavy use, and will get a public
outing Real Soon Now (after xlrd 0.6.1 final, which is expected Truly
Rooly Real Soon Now).

james_027

xlwt is active, stable enough for heavy use, and will get a public
outing Real Soon Now (after xlrd 0.6.1 final, which is expected Truly
Rooly Real Soon Now).

Thanks a John

Now my searching is over