Excel process still running after program completion.

Chris

I have a python script that is driving Excel and using the win32com
module. However, upon program completion there's still an Excel.exe
process running in the background that I must terminate through Task
Manager. Reading up on other threads indicate that maybe I still have
some Excel objects referenced within my code. Is this why the process
doesn't terminate?

The related (I hope) parts of my code is here.

x1App = Dispatch("Excel.Application")
Book1 = x1App.Workbooks.Open(ExcelLogPath+"\\outputLog-template.xls")
x1App.Visible = 1
for sheets in Book1.Worksheets:
if sheets.Name == file_name:
sheetExists = True
if sheetExists != True:
activeSheet =
Book1.Worksheets.Add(After=Book1.Worksheets(1))
activeSheet.Name = file_name
testNum[file_name] = 0
Book1.Worksheets(file_name).Select()
Book1.ActiveSheet.Cells(1+(testNum[file_name]*20),1).Value = "Original
File Name"
Book1.ActiveSheet.Cells(2+(testNum[file_name]*20),1).Value =
file_name
Book1.ActiveSheet.Pictures().Insert(output).Select()
Book1.SaveAs(Filename=path)
x1App.ActiveWorkbook.Close(SaveChanges=0)
x1App.Quit()
del x1App
del Book1
del activeSheet

What am I missing?

Chris

From: Chris
[...]

In my Excel projects, I terminate it with:

xlBook.Close()
xlApp.Quit()

I haven't had a problem with Excel staying open after the program ends.

(On a tangent, I want to find the person who thought it was a good idea
to use the same symbol in a font for 1, l, and I and do some unpleasant
things.)

That doesn't really fix the problem as I'm pretty sure its identical
code for
x1App.ActiveWorkbook.Close(SaveChanges=0)

I think where my problem lies is within my for each loop where I
search to see if the worksheet with the name already exists
for sheets in Book1.Worksheets:
if sheets.Name == file_name:
sheetExists = True

Since I'm assuming that it creates objects for each of the sheets and
I don't delete them...

Chris

From: Chris
[...]

Which I'm right... I added this code and now there's no EXCEL.EXE
process after my script completes

for sheets in Book1.Worksheets:
if sheets.Name == file_name:
sheetExists = True
sheets = None
del sheets

Tal Einat

From: Chris
[...]

You just need to 'del sheets' once after the loop, no need to do it in
every iteration. After your original loop the 'sheets' variable still
pointed to the last sheet object, probably causing it not to be
properly cleaned up. This is the only thing that your change fixes,
but it is simpler (and more readable) to just do it once after the
loop.

(Please add SOLVED or FIXED to the subject when your issue has been
resolved, so that people like me don't read the whole thread only to
find that their help is no longer needed.)

- Tal