exerb corefile

Shashank Date

I have downloaded and installed the latest exerb (3.0) along with the
nightly snapshot of ruby(1.9.0) on Win XP (Home).

I have followed the steps as described in the tutorial that comes with
exerb. But it keeps asking about some "corefile" it expects.

Any idea where I can get the correct "corefile" for the latest ruby?
Or even the latest stable release 1.8.1 ?

TIA,
-- shanko

Transcript follows:
C:\ruby\bin>ruby -v
ruby 1.9.0 (2003-12-27) [i386-mswin32]

C:\ruby\bin>ruby exerb -v
Exerb 3.0.0

Usage: exerb [options] recipe-file

-c --corename specifies exerb-core name.
-C --corefile specifies exerb-core file.
-o --outfile specifies output file.
-k --kcode specifies kanji code. (none/euc/sjis/utf8)
-v --verbose enable verbose mode.
-g --debug enable debug mode.
-e --execute execute the created executable file.
-V --version display version number.
-h --help display this information.

C:\ruby\bin>type tst_exerb.rb
puts "Testing Exerb"

C:\ruby\bin>ruby -r exerb/mkexr tst_exerb.rb
Testing Exerb

C:\ruby\bin>ruby exerb tst_exerb.exr
exerb: a core file isn't specified in the recipe file and command line
options.

C:\ruby\bin>

Shashank Date

Lyle Johnson said:
The "corefile" that exerb uses is sort-of a minimal Ruby distribution
for a particular Ruby release. If you look at the exerb home page:

http://exerb.sourceforge.jp/index.en.html

you will find a link under the Downloads section for the exerb core
collection. The latest core collection only contains cores for Ruby
1.6.8 and Ruby 1.8.0, however; you are a little too close to the
bleeding edge ;)

I suspect that the developers will come up with an exerb core file for
Ruby 1.8.1 in short order, but I doubt they will try to track the
development snapshots of 1.9. You might try e-mailing the developer(s)
directly to see what their plans are.

Hope this helps,

Lyle

Thanks Lyle.

Actually, I was able to figure it out while at work. Checking out from
the CVS does not seem to get the core files. When I downloaded the
tar file linked from RAA and installed it as per instructions, it came
with all the required core files. It is working now but I may have
uncovered a bug which I will describe in another post.

I still prefer the ease of use of Eric Veenstra's rubyscript2exe:
http://raa.ruby-lang.org/list.rhtml?name=rubyscript2exe
although it runs only on windows and makes bigger exe files.

Thanks again,
-- shanko

Shashank Date

Shashank Date said:
It is working now but I may have
uncovered a bug which I will describe in another post.

No bug ... just a matter of using the correct versions.
exerb working great now (on both Win XP and Win 2k)!

Thanks Yuya !
-- shanko