exiftool / reading WMV meta information

Eric Kolve

I found a really nice package on CPAN called Image::ExifTool and I was
wondering if their is some clean way of calling Perl code from Ruby? I
couldn't find anything on rubyforge that did as good a job as this did.

The other option is a port, but I am concerned about keeping a 60k line
perl module in sync with a ruby version. Does anyone have any advice
for porting/maintaining an active project in a different language?

thanks,
eric

darren kirby

--nextPart1153958033.UXOxImx7yL

quoth the Eric Kolve:
I found a really nice package on CPAN called Image::ExifTool and I was
wondering if their is some clean way of calling Perl code from Ruby? I
couldn't find anything on rubyforge that did as good a job as this did.

`perl somescript.pl`
system("perl somescript.pl")

Is the only way I can think of, but I don't suppose that meats your definit=
ion=20
of clean...
The other option is a port, but I am concerned about keeping a 60k line
perl module in sync with a ruby version. Does anyone have any advice
for porting/maintaining an active project in a different language?

I ported a Perl lib to Ruby. It was not nearly ~60000 lines, more like ~800=
=20
but...

I was actually trying to implement a spec, and was struggling with that, th=
en=20
I found the Perl library that implements the spec. To tell the truth, from=
=20
the beginning I was not that interested in cloning the Perl lib at all, I=20
just used it as a starting point.

I do not expect I will try to keep my lib in sync with the original Perl on=
e=20
in the slightest. It already carries the functionality I originally require=
d,=20
so at this point I will just plug away and add any new functionality as I=20
find the time and motivation.

So: I don't think you should necessarily resign yourself to keeping your po=
rt=20
strictly 'in sync' with the original. Just follow it to keep abreast of=20
changes in exif format and whatnot. Otherwise, use the Perl code as a=20
starting point like myself, then make it your own. If the code is=20
useful/helpful enough, and you place it in rubyforge you may find yourself=
=20
getting some help from the community.=20

2 cents...
thanks,
eric

=2DDarren
=2D-=20
=2D Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, June 1972