Existing web projects aren't binding to the correct virtual directories

AC [MVP MCMS]

I have a full blown VS.NET 2003 solution with a handful of library
assemblies, two web projects, and a few web service projects. The
entire solution is in VSS. Recently our build server went haywire and
the best solution was to blow away everything on the build server
related to this solution (both filebase and virtual directories hanging
off the default website).

I recreated the shell of our solution's web projects
(d:\projects\Solution 1\WebProject1; d:\projects\Solution
1\WebProject2), recreated the virtual directories (WebProject1,
WebProject2), set as web applications, in the default website and
pointed them to the directories I setup. I've always done this in the
past with all my web projects... this way, ~I~ say where the projects
will be placed, not the default IIS mappings.

Note: This server has multiple web sites all listening on port 80 on
the "all unassigned" IP... just like the default site. However, all
default sites are set to listen for specific host headers.

Now, when I try to get the project from VSS, the web projects aren't
binding to the default website. I get the usual "Set Project Location"
which says the working copy location is "http://localhost/WebProject1"
for each web project... but when I click OK I get the message:

"Unable to create web project http://localhost/webproject1". The file
path d:\inetpub\[wwwroot of one of the other IIS sites] does not
correspond to the URL http://localhost/webproject1. The two need to
map to the same server location. Http Error 404: Not Found.

OK... so it's obvious to me that VS is trying to bind to one of the
other IIS sites. BUT, when I put a dummy file in the web applications
I created in the default website (d:\projects\solution
1\webproject1\test.txt) and browse to it
(http://localhost/webproject1/test.txt), it works just fine. So IIS
isn't passing off control to one of those other sites (which is good).
Also, after letting it go through its process, I see it created
directories in other IIS sites but didn't mark them as web
applications.

The only way I can keep it from binding to one of the other sites is by
stopping those web sites. But then it just goes onto another site
listening on port 80. I am not going this route for many reasons.
First those other IIS sites are very active projects. Second, this
site is a Content Management Server site I'm building, and the ISAPI
filters must be running on that site. Third, some of the sites it's
binding to are SharePoint sites... same deal with ISAPI filters. While
I've mentioned SharePoint & CMS, This is NOT an issue with those
products... it's an issue with the default website.

What gives? I've looked in the SLN, CSPROJ, and WEBINFO files trying
to find SOMETHING, but each and every test always looks in other IIS
sites. All references are to URLs... not file shares (we need to use
URL's, not file shares for a few reasons I won't go into). Ideas?