Exit from Dir.chroot()

hgarg.india

Any other clear strategy, as I am using ruby in CHEF so, calling Process.exit exits the chef also.

Robert Klemme

Any other clear strategy, as I am using ruby in CHEF so, calling Process.exit exits the chef also.

Strategy should be obvious: fork, then in child: chroot, do work, exit.

Cheers

robert

Kaz Kylheku

The entire point of chroot is to prevent you from exiting it...

No it isn't the entire point. That's just the security aspect of chroot.

There is also a utility aspect of chroot, which is to create a modified
environment in which absolute paths change semantics in order to simplify
something: for instance, allowing programs to be compiled using different
tools, and against different header files and libraries, while still using
paths like /usr/include or /usr/bin.

Having to be subject to the security aspect when you only need the pragmatic
aspect is an annoying limitation of chroot.