experimenting with gems

printdude1968

I have an XP Pro box and installed ruby182-15. No problems ... yet

The next thing I did was download the rubygems zip file and unzipped it
to a location on my hard drive. I then used SFU3.5 to open a ksh
session (posix) to let me run ruby... bad move. When I typed ruby
setup.rb from the location I had unzipped the gems to, I was informed
that it could not understand what I was asking for... so..easy to
fix... alter my path. Great... so I did the same command again...
still nada. Turns out that ruby is really ruby.exe... shouldn't it be
a symbolic link or something? Anyway, I copied ruby.exe to "ruby" and
thought that would fix my problems... sure... ruby setup.rb worked
fine this time. So then, I did exactly what the web site said to do...

http://download.rubyonrails.com/

says

gem install rails --include-dependencies

$ gem install rails --include-dependancies

To which GEM replies

ruby: No such file or directory -- /dev/fs/C/ruby/bin/gem (LoadError)

Now what do I do? Should I not bother with Windooos at all and just
do it all on a Unix box? There's not much online about how to install
rails on windows... I did what http://download.rubyonrails.com/ says to
do and haven't had much luck.

Hugh Sasse

I have an XP Pro box and installed ruby182-15. No problems ... yet

The next thing I did was download the rubygems zip file and unzipped it
to a location on my hard drive. I then used SFU3.5 to open a ksh
session (posix) to let me run ruby... bad move. When I typed ruby

That's the problem. It's designed for people using Ruby from the
Command Prompt under Windows, or clicking on those nice red, green
and black icons you get with .rb files. I've had to add in extra
files to get cygwin to co-operate, but in the end I think I ended up
using a cygwin ruby for cygwin work.

Mind you, I'm speaking from a position of total ignorance about
SFV3.5, so I don't know what extra things get setup with that and
what it expects. Hopefully you'll get a reply from someone else
using it. I do use Unix (Solaris, + others) but don't know of
SFV3.5

Hugh

printdude1968

It all works fine from a command prompt.
SFU3.5... Windows Services for Unix is Microsoft taking over Interix
and adding its own spin. Its pretty much the same as cygwin except
that I don't think it makes use of much of the features of gnu.