Extending Enum

lroland

Hi all

Due to a somewhat strange external requirement I need to ensure that
most of our enums can be treated as a single type that contains a
getDescription() method. Given the enum keyword is just syntactic
sugar for extending the Enum abstract class my initial idea was to do
something like this:
--
public interface EnumDescription<E extends Enum<E>> {
public String getDescription();

With the implementing enum ending up as
--
public enum Flag implements EnumDescription<Flag> {
ALL("All"), UNFLAGGED("Unflagged"), RED("Flagged with red flag"),

Which of cause looses all the enum type information - i.e. the
following will not work because "ordinal" does not exists in the
interface.

// full enums
Flag[] flags = Flag.values();

// print description and ordinal
String s = new String();
for (EnumDescription<?> d : flags) {
s += " '" + d.getDescription() + " (id: " + d.ordinal() + ")' ";
}
System.out.println(s);

Given i also need the other enum methods (valueOf...) it does not
seams like a sensible solution to just add then to the interface
(valueOf is also static which creates its own set of problems). So
basically I need a way to keep the type information from Enum in my
new type - is this even possible ?.

Tom Hawtin

Due to a somewhat strange external requirement I need to ensure that
most of our enums can be treated as a single type that contains a
getDescription() method. Given the enum keyword is just syntactic

Yes, very strange.
public interface EnumDescription<E extends Enum<E>> {
public String getDescription();
}
Given i also need the other enum methods (valueOf...) it does not
seams like a sensible solution to just add then to the interface
(valueOf is also static which creates its own set of problems).

Very strange, because valueOf doesn't make any sense as a non-static on
an enum. You might want to have a separate class to represent each enum
(with all of its elements) as a single instance. Instances of that class
could then act as a repository.
So
basically I need a way to keep the type information from Enum in my
new type - is this even possible ?.

I think you need to work out exactly what you are trying to achieve, and
then model accordingly.

Tom Hawtin

Daniel Pitts

[...]

}}

--

Which of cause looses all the enum type information - i.e. the
following will not work because "ordinal" does not exists in the
interface.

// full enums
Flag[] flags = Flag.values();

// print description and ordinal
String s = new String();
for (EnumDescription<?> d : flags) {
s += " '" + d.getDescription() + " (id: " + d.ordinal() + ")' ";
}
System.out.println(s);}

--

Given i also need the other enum methods (valueOf...) it does not
seams like a sensible solution to just add then to the interface
(valueOf is also static which creates its own set of problems). So
basically I need a way to keep the type information from Enum in my
new type - is this even possible ?.

Check all this out:

public class Test {
public static interface HasDescription<Type extends Enum<Type> &
HasDescription<Type>> {
String getDescription();
int ordinal();
Class<Type> getDeclaringClass();

}

public enum MyEnum implements HasDescription<MyEnum> {
MINE {
public String getDescription() {
return "What's mine is mine.";
}
},
YOURS {
public String getDescription() {
return "What's your is mine.";

HasDescription<? extends HasDescription> thing = MyEnum.YOURS;
System.out.println(thing.getDescription() + thing.ordinal());
HasDescription[] enumConstants =
thing.getDeclaringClass().getEnumConstants();
for (HasDescription e: enumConstants) {
System.out.println(e + ": " + e.getDescription() +
e.ordinal());

lroland

Thanks - this does exactly what I need.