extract text from screen or screenshots...

Sue

Is there a way to extract or search for text on a computer screeen?

I have a java program that caputures the screen shots of a constantly
changing database log file and saves the screen shots as .png or .jpeg
files. I need to search for a particular value, "timeelapsed" from the
screenshots -- is there any way to do this?

Another method would be to have a java program to read the text from
the screen directly without having to go through screenshots. Is this
possible to do?

Thank you very much.

Andrew Thompson

Is there a way to extract or search for text on a computer screeen?

I have a java program that caputures the screen shots of a constantly
changing database log
[1]

..file and saves the screen shots as .png or .jpeg
files. I need to search for a particular value, "timeelapsed" from the
screenshots -- is there any way to do this?

Another method would be to have a java program to read the text from
the screen directly without having to go through screenshots. Is this
possible to do?

It would be far easier (generally) to search the database
log itself. Where is it?

[ To continue with your current folly, Google 'OCR'. ]

jan V

I have a java program that caputures the screen shots of a constantly
changing database log file and saves the screen shots as .png or .jpeg
files. I need to search for a particular value, "timeelapsed" from the
screenshots -- is there any way to do this?
Another method would be to have a java program to read the text from
the screen directly without having to go through screenshots. Is this
possible to do?

The lunatics run the asylum. Jippeee-haa. More tablets please...

Hemal Pandya

Andrew said:
Is there a way to extract or search for text on a computer screeen?
[....]

[ To continue with your current folly, Google 'OCR'. ]
More specifically google Screen+OCR. Also look up CopyText.exe . Google
results for Windows+Controls+Clipboard brings up some utilities.

Sue

The log files are the output of a customized java application, not one
generated by the database itself. The java application writes messages
to the screen when data is updated or deleted from the database. The
data on the log screen keeps updating constantly hence the need for
screen images. Thank you very much for the OCR information - wonder if
there are any sample source codes to implement this in java?

Sue said:
The log files are the output of a customized java application, not one
generated by the database itself. The java application writes messages
to the screen when data is updated or deleted from the database. The
data on the log screen keeps updating constantly hence the need for
screen images. Thank you very much for the OCR information - wonder if
there are any sample source codes to implement this in java?

Where is the java application writing messages? To the console? In that
case pipes are perhaps more appropriate. Pipe the java programs output
to another program which can parse the data and store for future
reference and also output all of its input to the console.

Andrew Thompson

The log files are the output of a customized java application, not one
generated by the database itself. The java application writes messages
to the screen when data is updated or deleted from the database. The
data on the log screen keeps updating constantly hence the need for
screen images.

Forget the OCR, and please stop changing the 'Subject' line,
as it breaks normal threading behaviour in some news clients[1].

It is (probably) going to be orders of magnitude simpler
to intervene directly in the Java application for your data.

Give us more information on it.
Who wrote it, where is the source?

[1] <http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#usenet>