Extremely long Perl debugger output in Windows

Artemis Fowl

Hello Experts,

I am facing a minor issue while I am debugging my perl script. It
contains a lot of "PRINT" statements and when I let it run in the
debugger, in the command prompt in Windows, I lose out on a lot of
output. But I would like to capture this.
Also, when I evaluate some hash, array in my program - the output
still exceeds the command prompt window.
I tried using PERDB_OPTS environment variable. But I am not able to
get it working.
Can you please help me with this?

Many Thanks in advance,
Artemis

Tad J McClellan

I am facing a minor issue while I am debugging my perl script. It
contains a lot of "PRINT" statements

Then it contains a lot of syntax errors and will not execute at all.

ccc31807

Hello Experts,

This isn't a Perl expert question, but an OS expert question.
I am facing a minor issue while I am debugging my perl script. It
contains a lot of "PRINT" statements and when I let it run in the
debugger, in the command prompt in Windows, I lose out on a lot of
output. But I would like to capture this.

Use the redirect output operator. If you run your command like this:
%perl my_prog.plx

run it like this
%perl my_prog.plx > output.txt

The redirect part (> output.txt) redirects console output to a file
named output.txt in the same directory.

CC

Jürgen Exner

Artemis Fowl said:
I am facing a minor issue while I am debugging my perl script. It
contains a lot of "PRINT" statements and when I let it run in the
debugger, in the command prompt in Windows, I lose out on a lot of
output.

I'm not sure what you mean by "lose out". Do you mean the output scrolls
off the top of the window resp. out of the screen buffer? You are aware
that you can scroll through the whole screen buffer and that you can
increase the screen buffer to 9999 lines?
But I would like to capture this.

Can't you just redirect the (regular) output into a file or does that
interfere with the debugger?
Also, when I evaluate some hash, array in my program - the output
still exceeds the command prompt window.

???
Hashes and arrays are data structures. Normally you evaluate code, not
data.

jue

Brian Helterline

Dr.Ruud said:
perl my_prog.plx 2>&1 > output.txt

This doesn't put stderr and stdout in output.txt. stderr still goes to
the console. The order needs to be reversed.

perl my_prog.plx >output.txt 2>&1