fast (and academic) starting points: XML-Query-languages

Martin Steffen

Hi,

XML-Query languages are quite outside my area of expertise. I need,
however
material for an academic talk, focusing on XML-query languages.

So I'm looking for fast entry points to that topic, not so much the
XML-W3C
standard documents and stuff, that requires to much time and is too
detailed for
a start (at least as only source).

I'm more interested

- good general overviews and well-written textbooks

- the underlying theory and the background

- "the 10 most important and interesting papers on the field"

- new and promising directions and trends, hot topics etc.

Sorry for the rather general and undirected question, but, as I said,
I'm
rather ignorant on the subject, and need to transform me into an
"expert"
fast....

Cheers, Martin

Manuel Collado

Martin Steffen escribió:
Hi,

XML-Query languages are quite outside my area of expertise. I need,
however material for an academic talk, focusing on XML-query languages.

So I'm looking for fast entry points to that topic, not so much the
XML-W3C standard documents and stuff, that requires too much time and is
too detailed for a start (at least as only source).

Introductory tutorial: http://www.w3schools.com/xquery/default.asp

Regards.

Joe Kesselman

My standard (and slightly biased) plug: Lots of articles and tutorials
can be found at DeveloperWorks:
http://www.ibm.com/xml
I don't agree with them all -- heck, IBM doesn't agree with them all;
the folks running that site are trying to treat it as a semi-independent
magazine and will publish good articles even if they don't endorse the
conclusions reached -- but it's a darned good resource for basic
education about XML, the tools and techniques used to manipulate XML,
and how to apply XML to real-world situations.

(Obviously there are lots of other good resources; I mention this one
partly because I'm biased -- as an IBMer and as a past author there --
and partly because I really do think it's a good starting point.)