favicon size and ie

Tim W

I made my sites favicons at 16 x 16 px in gimp, called them favicon.ico
and gave them the normal link in the head of the html and they work
fine, er except in ie8 which displays them big and fuzzy, looks like 16
x 16 and messy.

Did I recall that an .ico file can contain different sizes of icons?
What program will make them? Or do I make two different files and
upload them and alter the link (and how?). How do I make this work properly?

Tim W

Tim W

I made my sites favicons at 16 x 16 px in gimp, called them favicon.ico
and gave them the normal link in the head of the html and they work
fine, er except in ie8 which displays them big and fuzzy, looks like 16
x 16 and messy.

Did I recall that an .ico file can contain different sizes of icons?
What program will make them? Or do I make two different files and
upload them and alter the link (and how?). How do I make this work
properly?

Tim W

No, I am confused. I made them 8 x 8 and ie displays them 16 x 16 is
what I meant to say.

Tim W

Tim W

No, I am confused. I made them 8 x 8 and ie displays them 16 x 16 is
what I meant to say.

Tim W

No, No and double no, still confused:
My favicons are 16 x 16 px, I was right in the first place. IE8 displays
them at 24 x 24 and makes them look a mess.

Tim w

Brian Cryer

Tim W said:
No, No and double no, still confused:
My favicons are 16 x 16 px, I was right in the first place. IE8 displays
them at 24 x 24 and makes them look a mess.

My understanding (could be wrong) is that a favicon should be 16x16, 32x32
or 48x48. Not sure where I got that from originally (but I've pulled it from
my notes at
http://www.cryer.co.uk/resources/javascript/html7_add_a_page_icon.htm ).

What you could try is making an icon file containing each of those images -
that way IE can pick which one it wants to use. My personal favourite icon
editing tool is IcoFX, but I see that they are now charging for that - it
used to be free. Whatever your favourite icon tool is, try having multiple
image sizes in your icon file.

All the best with this.

Hot-Text

Tim W said:
No, No and double no, still confused:
My favicons are 16 x 16 px, I was right in the first place. IE8 displays
them at 24 x 24 and makes them look a mess.

Always make them 32x32
and they will not be fuzzy in no Browsers,
if a browser need a 16x16 view,
it will make the 32x32 view that way,
yes as Clear as the day it was born...

Tim W

Okay, so I make them at 32x32 and make sure they are still readable at
16x16 because the browser will resize them. I wonder where I got the
instructions to make them 16 x16?

What program displays them at 32x32? Is that just for desktop shortcuts?

BTW MS IE8 makes a mess of your icon too, it might be the transparency
it can't handle.

Tim w

Hot-Text

Tim W said:
Okay, so I make them at 32x32 and make sure they are still readable at
16x16 because the browser will resize them. I wonder where I got the
instructions to make them 16 x16?

New Internet Bylaws::
People suffering from low vision use
a magnification program that eases website reading.
What program displays them at 32x32? Is that just for desktop shortcuts?

Yes and for Vision Impairment.....
And
These statistics are a clear indication that website designers,
must incorporate simple techniques that make website usage easier,
for people with cognitive,
physical,
visual,
hearing or learning disabilities.

se

Tim W said:
I made my sites favicons at 16 x 16 px in gimp, called them favicon.ico and
gave them the normal link in the head of the html and they work fine, er
except in ie8 which displays them big and fuzzy, looks like 16 x 16 and
messy.

Did I recall that an .ico file can contain different sizes of icons? What
program will make them? Or do I make two different files and upload them
and alter the link (and how?). How do I make this work properly?

Tim W

As you already did use Gimp then continue using it. It's quite capable
making a
multilayer favicon.ico. The latest version: 2.8
If you googled on this subject, you'd found advices on how to implement this
using
gimp. There's different procedures. I did it so:
Make all different sizes as .png files. Save those in a common folder
preserved the
transparencies. Then start a new instance of Gimp. Open the biggest one of
your
..png files (Do not open this first one as "Open as layer"). Having this one
in gimp,
then go to file-menu and "Open as Layer", in your icon folder mark up all
the other
..png files except the biggest one that is already open. After this, you'll
se all the
different sizes in the layer pane on the right. Now, use the select menu to
select all
layers, then File>Export those as favicon.ico. -It'll be a multi-layer.
In the export-diaglog just write: favicon.ico (be sure including the .ico).
Alternate, you can
choose the .ico export format by clicking the tap in the export-dialogs
lower left corner.
Press OK button. Then a dialog comes up, where you can choose saving format
for
any single one of the files. The default format is 32bpp, 8-bit alpha, no
palette. You can
let it be there. If you want compatibility with more and older browsers, you
should make
more of each .png sizes and Export them along with in some of the other
formats, you
can choose in the Export-dialog.
Now you have it - a multilayered "favicon.ico" file containing all the
different sizes.

Alternate, you can convert each single .png file as an .ico file first.
Afterwards calling up those
..ico files in the same manner as described above for calling up the .png
files. If you choosed
the .ico exporting format for every each size of the files, at the time you
converted those .png
files to .ico files, the only thing to do when exporting the multi-layers is
writing favicon.ico in
the name field of the export-dialog. Even you convert every single .png to
..ico, you must still
use "File>Export" - not Save.
You must use the latest Gimp, 2.8
If you have an older, then uninstall it and install the latest.

/se