feedback

kchayka

windandwaves said:
you are pretty knowledgeable.

I am pretty knowledgeable because I take the time to read specs,
research good practices (coding, usability, etc), keep up with browser
updates, and other things web-related.

It takes time, effort and practice to become skilled at anything. It's a
mystery to me why some folks think those need not apply to web development.

Travis Newbury

kchayka said:
It takes time, effort and practice to become skilled at anything. It's a
mystery to me why some folks think those need not apply to web
development.

Some folks think these things don't apply to many diferent types of
development. Web development is no different.

Travis Newbury

kchayka said:
It takes time, effort and practice to become skilled at anything. It's a
mystery to me why some folks think those need not apply to web
development.

You know I was thinking. As with everything, not everyone is an
expert. They are at different levels. This is true in everything,
cooking, painting, writing, nursing, building, etc...

In all of these things, you are completely capable of performing the
needed tasks at your specific level. In the case of a cook, you may
not be a chef, but may be capable of creating scrambled eggs.

In the case of the web, you may not know all the standards, be a
usability expert, and understand the css box, but you are completely
capable of creating a web page. Is it as good as the chef's eggs?
Probably not, but they are still eggs.

I think, thinking that you should not be allowed to do any cooking if
you are not a chef is kind of silly.

By the way, while it may not sound like it, this is agreeing with you

windandwaves

Travis said:
And you should be proud. But the fact is if you walk into virtually
any large corporation and say that is what you know how to do. The
first thing they will ask you is "Do you know how to do table layout
and use Dreamweaver..."

Right? Wrong? Who is to say, but for the time being, it is reality.

Absolutely, and it happens to be very, very fast to open a document in
Word/Dreamweaver and go Save As HTML or something along those lines.

EXCEPT

when
- you want to update a few things manually
- just slightly change the design a tad
- go to a database driven design

Etc...

I am just scared they will develop a good HTML editor - making my IP (as in
intellectual property) obsolete...

Cheers

- Nicolaas

dorayme

From: kchayka said:
I am pretty knowledgeable because I take the time to read specs,
research good practices (coding, usability, etc), keep up with browser
updates, and other things web-related.

Really? You weren't a born miracle? A genius who just sniffs the air and has
knowledge. You are just a person who has studied things and learnt. Yes, I
know this is something worthwhile, but there is no more than this? C'mon,
you being modest? No need for that sort of thing. If you are a genius or a
god, come right out and say so!

dorayme