Filemaker interactions

Ian Witham

Hello,

I'm hoping someone here can put me on the right track with some broad
concepts here.

What I am hoping to achieve is a simple HTML page to be served over
our company LAN, into which the users (Real Estate Agents) can enter a
property address or reference number.

My next thought was to have a Python CGI script query our filemaker
database of property listings, construct a PDF from the relevant
information, and finally return this PDF to the user.

At no stage do I want the user to have unfettered access to the
database or the ability to alter/delete records.

My question is: what is the most appropriate way for my script to
interact with Filemaker? Can this be done with Filemaker Pro 6?

According to the Filemaker Help, the "Local Data Access Companion"
shares the FileMaker Pro database with ODBC-compliant applications on
the same computer. Is this the right option?

Can my CGI script be an ODBC client? How? Would it need to be
Filemaker specific code or does ODBC have a standardised format?

I'm grateful for any advice and a nudge in the right direction.

Ian.

Jay Loden

Ian said:
[...]

I don't know if this helps, but there is a PyFileMaker module for Python for interacting with FileMaker:
http://www.sourcefiles.org/Programming/Development/Modules/Python/PyFileMaker-1.2a4.zip

That seems to be the only still working link to the module I can find, so I'm guessing it's not in active development.

-Jay

M.-A. Lemburg

[...]

You could try our mxODBC extension for Python which will
likely just work out of the box:

https://www.egenix.com/products/python/mxODBC/

with the Filemaker ODBC driver.

Or give this module a try (if you have more time at hand
and can do without a DB-API interface):

http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/code/filemaker.py.html

It uses Filemaker's XML interface.

--