Firewall for Java?

Siebert Kunze

Hi guys,

is there a possibility for firewalls to control the traffic of different
java applications? I mean, some Java Applications are even meant to run as a
system service in the background - quite a reason to worry about! As far as
I know, the rules of common firewalls are based on the java virtual machine
executable. So is there a possibility to handle different instances of a
java virtual machine or - the much better solution - identify the running
java application within the java vm to assign a java application based
firewall rule? Ina consistent way, of course...

Thanks for comment suggestion an guesses,

Siebert

Donkey Hottie

Hi guys,

is there a possibility for firewalls to control the traffic of different
java applications? I mean, some Java Applications are even meant to run
as a system service in the background - quite a reason to worry about!
As far as I know, the rules of common firewalls are based on the java
virtual machine executable. So is there a possibility to handle
different instances of a java virtual machine or - the much better
solution - identify the running java application within the java vm to
assign a java application based firewall rule? Ina consistent way, of
course...

I believe that is not possible. The java code is just data for the
java-executable, and firewalls to not make any difference on the data.

Arne Vajhøj

is there a possibility for firewalls to control the traffic of different
java applications? I mean, some Java Applications are even meant to run
as a system service in the background - quite a reason to worry about!
As far as I know, the rules of common firewalls are based on the java
virtual machine executable. So is there a possibility to handle
different instances of a java virtual machine or - the much better
solution - identify the running java application within the java vm to
assign a java application based firewall rule? Ina consistent way, of
course...

Serious firewalls are separate boxes that controls traffic based
on addresses, protocols and ports. They work fine with multiple
Java apps.

Some smart sales people have convinced private consumers that
they get value of running a "software firewall" on their PC.
Those can check on executable running. But I don't think
they check the command line arguments, so all instances of
java.exe will be considered identical. If you need to
distinguish then write your own app specific wrapper to be
used instead of java.exe (that is pretty simple using JNI).
But it seems like a rather pointless exercise to me.

Arne