First day beginner to python, add to counter after nested loop

rusi

What rubbish. The OP was asked repeatedly, first by Dave Angel and then
by myself, not to post double spaced crap. He simply refused to do so.
I then stated that the best solution was for him to stop posting.
Where in this exchange was I rude?

Well I wonder whether I want to get in here… I am assuming you are
genuinely asking and I am correspondingly answering:

When you tell someone to get out -- 'to stop posting' is kind of equivalent
to that -- you dont leave much scope for dialogue :)

I see that you asked him some 6-7 times before that. So I am not really
blaming you for what you did. Just trying to suggest that those half-dozen
times could have been louder and more detailed before saying: Please go
away from here!

Also others (Alister?) were double-space-reply-posting as well. When you
mean to point out a behavior without getting personal, it helps
to point out all instances of that behavior. Otherwise it looks like you
are going for someone, when in fact you are going against something.

rusi

Op 31-10-13 08:37, rusi schreef:
You didn't expect me to be perfect, did you?
:)

What bothered me was that some
poisoned by other languages" or "You will grow to love some python aspect".
People can argue the advantages of how python does it, but my buttons get
pushed when they do it in a way that suggest you are just not a true convert
yet.

Ok fair enough.
It just seems to me that if (ever!) something like a guideline/code
for this list is made, one thing needed is that somethings are
negotiable some not. In particular, python programs are what we discuss, PL design only at the fringes.

Especially when an absolute noob starts holding forth about python without having a clue, I feel the most fruitful lines is to not agree or disagree but to say: "Python programs are what we discuss here; not python. Please treat python as a given -- like the sun, moon and taxes."

rusi

You missed the most obvious one, trolls :)

:D

Only that's not an element but a set -- trolls, nuts, dicks, philosophers --
and other yet-to-be-classified denizens of internetia

alex23

It is quite simple i could program it in a day...

There is certainly nothing stopping you from doing so. Once finished, I
recommend placing it on PyPI; if it reaches a critical mass of downloads
that support your thesis that "it will save millions of hours of bug
searching all over world in a month", then the Python devs would
consider adding it to the library or default interpreter.

Until then, you're projecting your personal preference onto everyone.

alex23

Well i ain't going to change

Thanks for your honesty. As I use an actual standards-compliant
newsreader, I can now safely killfile you and never have to notice your
laziness again.

rusi

oops sorry I though I had trimmed the posts i replied to to only the
relevant parts.

From python the comic through python the language to python the soap
[Just sayin' on this thread whats 'foaming' on the apology-thread]

Tim Roberts

I certainly do not like the old bracket style it was a catastrophe, but
in honesty the gui editor of python should have what i propose, a parser
that indent automaticly at loops, functions and end.

Many editors do that. Vim, which is what I use, certainly does.
I promise you it will save millions of hours of bug searching all over
world in a month.

I suspect you meant "dozens" rather than "millions"...

Look, both schemes have their pitfalls. With an "end" requirement, it's
easy to have code where the indenting doesn't match the actual nesting, and
that causes human confusion. Without the "end" requirement, it's not hard
to type code where you forget to dedent. Those are just two manifestations
of the exact same problem. Neither scheme is provably superior to the
other. It's just a choice that a language designer has to make.

I happen to like Python's choice. You'll get used to it.

Antoon Pardon

Op 02-11-13 21:19, Tim Roberts schreef:
Many editors do that. Vim, which is what I use, certainly does.

I suspect you meant "dozens" rather than "millions"...

Look, both schemes have their pitfalls. With an "end" requirement, it's
easy to have code where the indenting doesn't match the actual nesting, and
that causes human confusion.

Not really. All examples of this kind of confusion I have seem come from
C where the problem IMO comes from the fact that people can choose to put
one statement after a control structure or a block.

I have programmed sometime in modula2 and this mismatch was just not a
big deal in that language because such a mismatch usualy resulted in
an end missing and the code not compiling, which resolves the confusion
rather quickly.

Now of course I can mis something. Maybe you can provide an example that
would be confusing even with modula2 kind of control structures and still
compile and produce a hard to trace bug.

jonas.thornvall

--

Tim Roberts, (e-mail address removed)

Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

What does Vim stand for Voyager interstellar mission?

jonas.thornvall

Den lördagen den 2:e november 2013 kl. 21:19:44 UTC+1 skrev Tim Roberts:
Many editors do that. Vim, which is what I use, certainly does.

I suspect you meant "dozens" rather than "millions"...

Look, both schemes have their pitfalls. With an "end" requirement, it's

easy to have code where the indenting doesn't match the actual nesting, and

that causes human confusion. Without the "end" requirement, it's not hard

to type code where you forget to dedent. Those are just two manifestations

of the exact same problem. Neither scheme is provably superior to the

other. It's just a choice that a language designer has to make.

I happen to like Python's choice. You'll get used to it.

--

Tim Roberts, (e-mail address removed)

Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Was there a VIM discussion group?