Flash TotalFrames in IE /Firefox

Philip

I have a custom API that gets the number of frames in a Flash movie. I
use the Flash.TotalFrames() method. But, in IE it has to be called
like this:

TotalFrames = getPlugin(ElementID).TotalFrames;

in Firefox it has to be called like this:

TotalFrames = getPlugin(ElementID).TotalFrames();

[GetPlugin() is my own function that gets the Flash plugin depending
on the browser, thanks to Martin Honnen in a previous posting 26th Nov
2004].

Anyone know why this should be so?

Martin Honnen

Philip said:
I have a custom API that gets the number of frames in a Flash movie. I
use the Flash.TotalFrames() method. But, in IE it has to be called
like this:

TotalFrames = getPlugin(ElementID).TotalFrames;

in Firefox it has to be called like this:

TotalFrames = getPlugin(ElementID).TotalFrames();
Anyone know why this should be so?

It is hard to find documentation on such details of the Flash player on
the Macromedia web site, the following document
http://www.macromedia.com/support/flash/ts/documents/activex_script.htm
suggests that TotalFrames is only supported as a property for the
ActiveX control of Flash (which IE uses to render Flash movies). Whether
the Netscape/Mozilla plugin API suggests or even enforces to use methods
instead of properties I can't say but that is a possibility for instance
to explain the difference in the API.