font weight

richard

In working with a layout just for fun I came across a curios thing.

This will be using transitional 4.01 as that is what I'm used to.

I have a division which has the content set to font-weight:bold.

I noticed that the same weight was applied to a child division.

So in that child division I applied font-weight:100.

What's the correct way to reset the font-weight to "normal"?

Will all browsers accept the numeric setting?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

richard said:
In working with a layout just for fun I came across a curios thing.

I was in a curio shop in New Mexico once...
This will be using transitional 4.01 as that is what I'm used to.

That's for legacy documents.
I have a division which has the content set to font-weight:bold.
I noticed that the same weight was applied to a child division.
So in that child division I applied font-weight:100.
What's the correct way to reset the font-weight to "normal"?

..child { font-weight: normal; }

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit Beauregard T. Shagnasty:
richard wrote: [...]
I have a division which has the content set to font-weight:bold.
I noticed that the same weight was applied to a child division.
So in that child division I applied font-weight:100.
What's the correct way to reset the font-weight to "normal"?

.child { font-weight: normal; }

Or, equivalently, with font-weight: 400.

Using font-weight: 100 has currently the same effect, since browsers do
not implement weights smaller than 400 as intended but map them all to
400.

Some day, justice will be served when browsers start implementing 100
the intended way, as ultra light, and authors who relied on "it works"
instead of checking the specifications or tutorials will have their text
shown as incredibly light. Those authors probably use too small font
size already, so the rest of us will have a really good laugh.

richard

richard wrote: [...]
I have a division which has the content set to font-weight:bold.
I noticed that the same weight was applied to a child division.
So in that child division I applied font-weight:100.
What's the correct way to reset the font-weight to "normal"?

.child { font-weight: normal; }

Or, equivalently, with font-weight: 400.

Using font-weight: 100 has currently the same effect, since browsers do
not implement weights smaller than 400 as intended but map them all to
400.

Some day, justice will be served when browsers start implementing 100
the intended way, as ultra light, and authors who relied on "it works"
instead of checking the specifications or tutorials will have their text
shown as incredibly light. Those authors probably use too small font
size already, so the rest of us will have a really good laugh.

I kind of prefer the numbering convention.
Rather than saying, bold, bolder, boldest.
At least firefox 2 accepts 100.

Jonathan N. Little

richard said:
I kind of prefer the numbering convention.
Rather than saying, bold, bolder, boldest.
At least firefox 2 accepts 100.

It may "accept" it as well as all the other browsers, but it still does
not change the font weight from 400...

richard

It may "accept" it as well as all the other browsers, but it still does
not change the font weight from 400...

Yes it does. Although the change is barely noticeable.

Jonathan N. Little

richard said:
Yes it does. Although the change is barely noticeable.

Your eyes must be better than mine:

<head>

<title>template</title>

* { font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 32px; /* make huge */}
..a1 { font-weight: 100; }
..a2 { font-weight: 400; }
..a3 { font-weight: 600; }
..a4 { font-weight: 900; }

<script type="text/javascript">
</script>

</head>

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit richard:
Watch the width. It will change slightly.

When font-weight is changed from 400 to 100? On Firefox? You must have
confused yourself somehow.

Jonathan N. Little

richard said:
Watch the width. It will change slightly.

I guess if you stair at it long enough it will dance the Charleston too!

There is no difference.

dorayme

"Jonathan N. Little said:

FF2 (like Camino) bolds just the 900, most other browsers bold both 600
and 900