Force logout on machine1 when user logged into another machine

Chumma Dede

Hi,

Is there any way in asp.net 1.1 to force a user to logout from an
existing session on machine1, if that same userid logs in with a new
session on another machine, say machine2?

We are using a web garden having two web servers with network load
balancing, along with a asp.net session state server which the web apps
on both the servers are pointing at for maintaining session state.
There is no server affinity for the requests going to both webservers.

Any links or articles, or guidelines would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
JGP

Guest

One way that I can think of to implement this is to keep a hashtable of
logged in users and related information in Application state. Whenever a user
logs in , you can check this table and either notify the user they need to
log out at the original machine, or call the logout method first, before
logging in the user who signed in from a new machine. That should work with
Forms authentication. It's just an idea though, and would require some
serious study to implement fully.

One of the difficulties with Session is that you only have access to the
specific Session of the current user in your server-side code. You can't just
do Session.Abandon on somebody's specific session.

Peter

Chumma Dede

Any idea how this will work on a web-garden which has a common state
server, as I mentioned above?

Thanks,
JGP

Guest

With two machines, I think the correct term would be web farm, not web garden.

I really don't know the answer, you will need to experiment. I would think
that a common state server would make everything easier, no? You would need
to find out if Application State is shared between the machines. If not,
you'd need to do something else.
Peter

JGP

Could you explain a bit on how having "a common state server would make
everything easier" in this scenario?

Is there a way to share the Application state on the State server for
all machines in the web farm?

Thanks,
JGP