Form data not passed to action page

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Rod Haggard, Oct 23, 2009.

  1. Rod Haggard

    Rod Haggard Guest

    Hopefully this is the correct group to ask this question. I have a 1 field
    form:

    <form name="findCOEO" id="findCOEO" method="post"
    action="ep_edit_coeo.asp?timesin=1">
    <th colspan=2>
    Edit/View COEO Data
    </th>
    <b>Enter COEO #</b>
    <input type=text name=coeo id=coeo size=12 maxlength=12>
    <input type=submit name=getcoeo id=getcoeo value="Get
    Data">&nbsp;&nbsp;<input type=reset name=reset1 id=reset1 value="Reset">
    </form>

    I read the form data in the action page as request.form("coeo"). On my
    browser, IE6 this works exactly as planned. My coworker using the same
    browser gets nothing returned from the field. Is there a configuration
    setting that controls this? I have been doing this for many years and have
    never had this issue before. Thanks for any help or direction you can give
    me.

    Rod Haggard, Oct 23, 2009

  2. Rod Haggard

    Evertjan. Guest

    Rod Haggard wrote on 23 okt 2009 in
    Wrong NG.
    This NG is about Cassic ASP serverside programming.

    Forms are clientside.

    Evertjan., Oct 23, 2009

  3. Rod Haggard

    Neil Gould Guest

    It may help to focus on your action page code, since that is what the
    browsers are using when displaying the different results that you're seeing.

    Best,

    Neil

    Neil Gould, Oct 24, 2009
  4. Rod Haggard

    Dooza Guest

    I might be wrong, but this:

    <input type=text name=coeo id=coeo size=12 maxlength=12>

    should be

    <input type="text" name="coeo" id="coeo" size="12" maxlength="12">

    Dooza

    Dooza, Oct 26, 2009
  5. Rod Haggard

    Tim Slattery Guest

    Strictly speaking, yes you should use quotation marks for all the
    attribute values. If you ran the page through the W3C validator, it
    would pretty surely fail without them (depending on your DOCTYPE, if
    you had one, I think).

    But browsers are built to be *very* tolerant of HTML coding miscues,
    and no browser should have trouble figuring this out.

    Tim Slattery, Oct 26, 2009
  6. Rod Haggard

    Dooza Guest

    Maybe if the DOCTYPE is set to strict this might be an issue? Might be
    worth trying out? Just in case? If it doesn't, at least the code has
    been cleaned up a bit.

    Dooza

    Dooza, Oct 26, 2009