"Form" help request.

John Fitzsimons

Hi,

A friend of mine had an enquiry form that stopped working. Apparently
it was a cgi reference. I have put it up at ;

http://members.optushome.com.au/jfnews/enquiry.html

I think the code on the form could be changed to be able to be
forwarded as an email without cgi. Am I right ? If so could some html
"form" expert tell me where/which/how part of the code needs to be
changed please ?

Any help appreciated.

Regards, John.

Mark Parnell

I think the code on the form could be changed to be able to be
forwarded as an email without cgi.

Why? It would be better to get a form script that actually works.
Am I right ? If so could some html
"form" expert tell me where/which/how part of the code needs to be
changed please ?

It is possible (set the form action to "mailto:[email protected]"),
*however* this is unreliable at best. It won't work if the user only has
a web-based email account (e.g. Hotmail). It won't work for anyone
surfing the site in an Internet cafe. Etc.

Much better to get a working form script. Is it a free ISP hosting
account like the link you provided? If so, pretty much all ISPs provide
some sort of form handling script. Most paid hosts do as well, so you
would be best to look at that first.

John Fitzsimons

Hi Mark,
Why? It would be better to get a form script that actually works.

True, but I thought that that might take some time and my friend
wanted something that would work...now.
It is possible (set the form action to "mailto:[email protected]"),
*however* this is unreliable at best. It won't work if the user only has
a web-based email account (e.g. Hotmail). It won't work for anyone
surfing the site in an Internet cafe. Etc.

Okay. That has got things working.
Much better to get a working form script.

Okay, open to suggestions from anyone who knows some working form
scripts. Ideally for servers who do, and don't, allow server side
scripting files.

Anyone ?
Is it a free ISP hosting
account like the link you provided? If so, pretty much all ISPs provide
some sort of form handling script. Most paid hosts do as well, so you
would be best to look at that first.

Interesting. I hadn't thought of that approach. I will investigate.
Thanks. :)

Regards, John.