Form type input for the console

Justin C

I'm looking to collect some repetitive data from the command line. It'd
be nice to have an on-screen form for the users. I've never used perl
for this kind of thing before, can anyone point me at some relevant
documentation for generating an on-screen form? Learning Perl
doesn't get that far.

Thank you for any suggestions/pointers you can give.

Justin.

Michele Dondi

I'm looking to collect some repetitive data from the command line. It'd
be nice to have an on-screen form for the users. I've never used perl
for this kind of thing before, can anyone point me at some relevant
documentation for generating an on-screen form? Learning Perl
doesn't get that far.

Thank you for any suggestions/pointers you can give.

Perhaps Curses & C.?

Michele

J. Gleixner

Justin said:
I'm looking to collect some repetitive data from the command line. It'd
be nice to have an on-screen form for the users. I've never used perl
for this kind of thing before,

What have you used for this kind of thing before? Maybe that'll
help someone figure out what you're asking for.
can anyone point me at some relevant
documentation for generating an on-screen form? Learning Perl
doesn't get that far.

Possibly Curses?

http://search.cpan.org/~giraffed/Curses-1.17/gen/make.Curses.pm

Or using Tk to provide a nice interface:

http://search.cpan.org/~vkon/Tcl-Tk-0.97/lib/Tcl/Tk.pm

Or using HTML and CGI?

Or reading/storing the replies to prompts and using those replies
when needed.

Or providing an example of the repetitive data and how it's
to be used, maybe an 'on-screen form' isn't the best thing
to do.

Justin C

What have you used for this kind of thing before? Maybe that'll
help someone figure out what you're asking for.

Web-browser based form.

Possibly Curses?

That seems most likely, thank you, and thanks also to Michele and
Sherman for mentioning it too.

Or reading/storing the replies to prompts and using those replies
when needed.

I'm not certain what you mean, but that may be down to you not
understanding what I mean.

Or providing an example of the repetitive data and how it's
to be used, maybe an 'on-screen form' isn't the best thing
to do.

It's: contact name, business name, address, town, zip, country, tel,
fax, email.

I'm after a quick and dirty way of collecting these into a plain text
file for later import to a database. My reason for wanting to use a
terminal, rather than a web-browser, is speed. My typists are efficient,
I don't want them delayed by slow web-browsers.

Thanks for the suggestions, if the above stimulates further ideas I'd be
happy to hear them.

Justin.