Formatting

Dave

Hello all,

What is the recommended tool for beautifying C++ source code? There seem to
be a lot of options out there, but I don't know which is the preferred
tool...

Thanks,
Dave

Thomas Matthews

Dave said:
Hello all,

What is the recommended tool for beautifying C++ source code? There seem to
be a lot of options out there, but I don't know which is the preferred
tool...

Thanks,
Dave

All depends on your style requirements of preferences and
which will accomodate it.

I don't use one because I do the "beautifying" along the way.

--
Thomas Matthews

C++ newsgroup welcome message:
http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ faq:
Other sites:

Mike Wahler

Dave said:
Hello all,

What is the recommended tool for beautifying C++ source code? There seem to
be a lot of options out there, but I don't know which is the preferred
tool...

"Preferred" is of course a subjective issue. For example,
I prefer to make the code 'beautiful' (i.e. clear, readable,
and consistent) as I write it. As for having a computer (program)
come along and shuffle my source code around, well, I just don't
trust these darn machines much at all... :)

-Mike

E. Robert Tisdale

Dave said:
What is the recommended tool for beautifying C++ source code?
There seem to be a lot of options out there,
but I don't know which is the preferred tool...

I prefer Astyle

http://astyle.sourceforge.net/

because it's free
and because it is easy to modify to suit my tastes.

I don't think that their is any consensus.
You just need to pick the one that you like.

Dave

Dave said:
Hello all,

What is the recommended tool for beautifying C++ source code? There seem to
be a lot of options out there, but I don't know which is the preferred
tool...

Thanks,
Dave

OK, thanks for the input everyone. I definitely agree with everyone on
keeping the code clean as you go. I am meticulous about my own code. The
problem is that I've just joined a new group with a 22000 SLOC codebase that
is over 10 years old and in *horrible* shape!