FOSS or Freeware, Prefferably Runs on Linux Mint: Search US Goverment Records, Legally to Find Literarary Work

Joined
Sep 14, 2022
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
I'm looking for FOSS or Freeware, that prefferably runs on Linux Mint. I want it to be able to legally, not illegally search literary works records, with an average processor, to be able to see if what you're searching for in a file that you give, either .PDF, .docx, .doc, .odt, or some form of .txt format (except for sometimes more specific, like C++), to see if, according to it, what you produced in good faith, contains a lot of copied material. Whe're assuming that the material being scanned is not copied on purpose, but I want to see if it "happens" to contain a bunch of text that was used in some other project. I DON'T want it to show you the text that it thinks is copied, prefferably, I just want it to say, it matches this record (calling it by a name or something), or tell you it matches so many lines or so in the records, without telling you the name even. I'm not trying to replace a lawyer in a specific case, just trying to do the best I can, not to accidently copy something I release. Use case for now, is C++, but it'd be great if it could do multiple languages, like English, Java, and perhaps French, even though I don't know that language. I'm unable to even know how to manually look at records right now. I don't know where they are.

I want to volunterily, scan my code, before I try to release anything. I have not tried to copy what I believe isn't necessary, but I have a unique way of learning new programming languages, and want to make sure it doesn't conflict with laws to release such code. I want to be doubly sure. We are only talking about the US here. It should only scan in the US.

Joined
Mar 31, 2023
Messages
95
Reaction score
8
One possible option that meets some of your criteria is the open source software called "Plagiarism Checker X". It can be used to scan various file formats such as PDF, Word, and plain text files for possible instances of plagiarism. It does not provide the specific text that is copied, but instead indicates the percentage of similarity between the scanned file and the sources it matches. It also allows you to exclude certain words or phrases from the scan.

However, it's important to note that no software can guarantee 100% accuracy in detecting plagiarism, and ultimately it's up to you to ensure that your code is original and does not infringe on any intellectual property rights. Additionally, laws regarding plagiarism and intellectual property may vary by country, so it's important to research the laws in your specific location to ensure compliance.

Joined
Sep 14, 2022
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
Thanks. That helps a bit, or at least gives me a starting point. I will check it out, and see if that meets my needs.

However, it's important to note that no software can guarantee 100% accuracy in detecting plagiarism, and ultimately it's up to you to ensure that your code is original and does not infringe on any intellectual property rights.

Right! I wasn't trying to replace my brain in this area, but amplify it. When writing code, or any literary work, since I knew better, maybe a few infringes when I didn't, as a child, and maybe some learning here and there to do, I never try to copy stuff really, especially if I'm creating my unique software.

However, I needed to amplify my ability to check, and see what AI or whatever says about it, and then make the final judgement. I needed to do that, because when it's code, it's hard not to use information meant to educate, but only because of my specific way of learning. In my specific way of learning, it's complicated. But a tool to check this, should help lots. Also, if it checks the records of US, even better. But if this is all that's possible, this is better than nothing. I don't want to break laws or anything to try to follow them better. Thanks!

Joined
Sep 14, 2022
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
OK. I'm going to try it out. BUT, there's so many problems with it, as my checker. If there is a better one, please tell me. I'm testing whether it can speak C++ or not. If it can't, it's no good to me for what I want.

Second, while it has a free plan, it's not really even freeware. I would probably need to pay to do what I was thinking of. I'm willing to see if I can donate, but it would take months to purchase this thing at it's price, and I probably need to, to get the features I would need, assuming it can speak all my programming languages.

Third, although I didn't specify, I was really looking for something that's made to run on Linux, especially if made for Linux Mint (latest version).

Forth, it's not really FOSS. I can live with the fact that it's not, as long as the license is not too riddiculus.

Joined
Sep 14, 2022
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
Forgot to say, that lastly, it has to be a bit accurate, but that's not a problem with this program, according to the website. It came up with the right answer with a little bit tricky one, a C++ hello world program. The answer is no, it's not plagerized, because it's a trivial case, that everyone uses. You couldn't use the language, if you could copyright that program. The first one to copyright it, would be the only one who is allowed to use the language. That's why trivial examples aren't covered.

Maybe it knew all that, or maybe I got lucky with this test case, because it wasn't looking to find the right documents. I'd have to continue to test, by testing something I know is plagerized, that I do (but only to test the program's accuracy, and not to sell or post anywhere).

Joined
Sep 14, 2022
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
I realized that the fourth thing, isn't at all an issue, really. Not as long as the license is OK.

Joined
Mar 31, 2023
Messages
95
Reaction score
8
I understand your concerns and requirements for a plagiarism checker that meets your specific needs. Here are some additional options you may want to consider:

  1. Moss (Measure of Software Similarity): This is a free plagiarism detection tool specifically designed for programming assignments. It supports multiple programming languages, including C++, Java, and Python, and can be run on Linux. It's widely used in academia and has been around for over 20 years.
  2. JPlag: This is another free plagiarism detection tool for programming assignments that supports multiple languages, including C++, Java, and C#. It can be run on Linux and has been used in both academic and commercial settings.
  3. PlagScan: This is a commercial plagiarism detection tool that supports multiple file formats, including PDF, Word, and plain text files. It's not specifically designed for programming assignments, but it does offer an API that can be integrated with other tools to check programming code for plagiarism. It's also available as a cloud-based service and can be used on Linux.
It's important to note that no plagiarism checker can guarantee 100% accuracy, and it's ultimately up to you to ensure that your code is original and does not infringe on any intellectual property rights. It's also important to research the specific laws regarding plagiarism and intellectual property in your location to ensure compliance.