frames iframes and div...

dorayme

Travis Newbury said:
< Evil Travis>
My God that site sucks. What the hell are you trying to prove with
that overly animated menu. Not only that, the text is all but
impossible to read, the dumb image that changed every few seconds give
me a headache, you choice of font is retarded at best. Your site is
the poster child for shitty websites. Technically you may be the
worlds greatest menu maker, but aesthetically you have failed. If
your were your website was a dessert it would be ass-**** pie a-la-
mode...
</Evil Travis>

<Nice Travis>
Hey, I found your website a little hard to navigate. The font was
rather hard for me to read, and the size was oh so small. But no
worries, I changed the zoom and I could kind of make it out. I love
what you did with that fancy menu. You really are the rage when it
comes to making a menu animated and fancy. And that little image in
the lower right that changes every few seconds? Well I have never
seen anything like that on the web before, you really are right there
on the cutting edge when it comes to website design.
</Nice Travis>

Come on, before you all jump all over me ...

Too late Travis! Unnecessarily savage, over the top self-promoting
bullshit.

OP has a good sense of visual design, he has a high score in clean and
neat. His problem is more inexperience in designing for the web, not
realising that people have different eyesight requirements that throw
his web site into unwanted effects when they up their text size
controls, he might even not be so cognisant that their initial settings
are different to his or that they can up and down text. And he probably
does not realise how infuriating the flashing right bottom box is (a
good reason to up the text even if you are not challenged with eyesight,
it gets cut off this way!)

dorayme

Adrienne Boswell said:
Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Travis Newbury
Happy 4th to you, too! We're going over to my cousin's house for smoked
turkey and fireworks at the local high school.

So! You two are actually going to *celebrate* that you missed the
opportunity to be a top soccer and cricket nation and have a Queen
around to keep an eye on you all?

dorayme

Øyvind Granberg said:
I guess I have to do some thinking about how to make easily updated web
pages.........

Please do not top post here. Put your replies underneath the earlier
post (after editing it for relevance). Like I am doing.

It is best to get on top of includes. If not, then get good with global
Search and Replace functions and bite the bullet of uploading many files
at a time to a server. Either strategy will work OK. I have done both
for long stretches of time and the world never caved in with the S & R
way, even on dial up. But I got spoilt and would not bother these days,
even on broadband.

Travis Newbury

Answer to Evil Travis:
GFY! I make my site the way I want it...

GFY? Green Fried Yams? And yes you do, you make the site the way you
want. That is the nice thing about the web, right or wrong, you can
make it any way you want.
Answer to Nice Travis:
Thank you, for your heartfelt advice.

I said the exact same thing both times. Apparently you did not like
the delivery of the first version.
To the bot of you:
Read the fu....ing subject!
Your replies didn't help at all.

Oh they did help. They got you thinking about your site. They got
you thinking about what you can do to your site to make it more
usable, I did not answer your question but I absolutely did help.
Kind regards
Øyvind Granberg

Back to work with you now...

Travis Newbury

Happy 4th to you, too!  We're going over to my cousin's house for smoked
turkey and fireworks at the local high school.

Going to the ball park, then to a cook out with my family, then watch
the fireworks from the desk. Nice fun weekend with the wife and kids
(though they are adults now)

Øyvind Granberg

Ok, ok... I surrender...! :-(
I have changed the font size.
And removed that flashing infuriority to the right.
Now....

ahem...

No, forget it! I don't dare to ask what else is wrong with my website...!

I stick to my divs, and put them in frames
But let me tell you all before you burst into flames
I will stick to a menu at the left and text to the right
in a simple layout with black text on white

If you one day visit my website and you disgustingly grin
of the horrors that scares you back into your bin
remember then that who ever we are
Some of us will never grow up to become a star!

Good Night!

--

Kind regards
Øyvind Granberg

(e-mail address removed)
www.tresfjording.com

basilisk

Ed Mullen said:
LOL. We're off to Buckhead and the Lenox Square fireworks on Saturday.
Staying overnight at the JW Marriott with friends.

http://blogs.ajc.com/peachbuzz/2009/06/17/lenox-unveils-plans-for-its-50th-annual-fireworks-display/

Although, before that the first stop will be Maple St. Guitars. I have
two more guitar stands than guitars. That just doesn't seem right
somehow. :)

Happy 4th to all.
I went to the 4th July fireworks show at Stone Mountain
several years ago and was very impressed, a very nice show.
I was also very impressed with the 4 hours it took to get out of
the park when it was over. :)

basilisk

Øyvind Granberg

Please mr. Dorayme
I have no trouble reading this NG weather the text is before or after...
If you have... You're the one having trouble.. not me.
If you have to much trouble you can freely choose not to read those messages
having replies on top...

Personally I found it easier to have replies on top because I then do not
have to scroll through a lot of known text to get to the raisin, i.e. the
reply!

So, please do not read my comment, because all my replies will be on top....

Thank you!

--

Kind regards
Øyvind Granberg

(e-mail address removed)
www.tresfjording.com

John Hosking

Please mr. Dorayme
I have no trouble reading this NG weather the text is before or after...
If you have... You're the one having trouble.. not me.
If you have to much trouble you can freely choose not to read those messages
having replies on top...

In other words, you want us all to add you to our killfiles, so that nobody
will read (or answer) your questions, or discuss any interesting topiscs
you may bring up. You already got some help from dorayme, now you aim to
avoid getting any more such help. Strange...
Personally I found it easier to have replies on top because I then do not
have to scroll through a lot of known text to get to the raisin, i.e. the
reply!

Personally, I like to leave the bathroom open when I'm using the toilet,
because then I don't have to touch the doorknob on the way out. Personally,
I like going around in just my underwear, because I find it more
comfortable than all that clothing with buttons and zippers, etc.
Personally, I like driving in the middle of the road, straddling the center
line, so I can swerve to either the left or the right if something suddenly
comes my way.

There are newsgroups where top-posting is preferred (I don't frequent any,
but I understand they exist), but alt.html isn't one of them. If you want
to participate here, and especially if you want help from those who
frequent the group, you should adapt to the culture of the environment.

If you insist on top-posting, please ask your questions in another your
group.

(And if everbody trims appropriately, scrolling isn't such an ordeal.)
So, please do not read my comment, because all my replies will be on top....

We're (TINW) already giving your posts less attention even now.

Neredbojias

Please mr. Dorayme
I have no trouble reading this NG weather the text is before or
after... If you have... You're the one having trouble.. not me.
If you have to much trouble you can freely choose not to read those
messages having replies on top...

Personally I found it easier to have replies on top because I then do
not have to scroll through a lot of known text to get to the raisin,
i.e. the reply!

So, please do not read my comment, because all my replies will be on
top....

Thank you!

Hmm. Perhaps you do find it easier to read top-replies, but this
brings up some interesting questions about your lucidity. Are you in
the habit of spending most of your time on newsgroups reading your own
replies? Others will reply as is their wont, so the replies to your
posts and replies will undoubtedly be on the bottom. Also, if you
reply to convey information and/or seek advice, isn't it more prudent
to do so in the manner preferred by those you address? IOW, your words
are for your readers so _your_ preference for formatting is rather
irrelevant, ne pas? You may, indeed, wish that others would top-post
for your edification, but that just isn't going to happen in this group
in this world. Of course, if you're here only to "see yourself talk",
chatter on, McDuff...

dorayme

John Hosking said:
Personally, I like to leave the bathroom open when I'm using the toilet,
because then I don't have to touch the doorknob on the way out.

In cinemas - you should see some of the types that frequent them - I
have a number of strategies to avoid getting out the main door. For
years, I have felt it would be inappropriate to reveal them here. But my
moment has come, thank God - you cannot believe what a relief it is.

1. I grab a bit of paper towelling to act as a glove

or

2. I carefully position myself behind someone leaving - not too close,
mind you, I would hate to give anyone the wrong idea - and either dart
out in their slipstream while the door is ajar or catch the door with my
foot to fling it open (with a nifty soccer movement) enough to fit
through.

(Hey, Øyvind Granberg, notice the bottom posting? There is nothing you
cannot do with it.)

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Rob said:
Øyvind Granberg schreef:

You're not a very frequent visitor, are you?

Perhaps the explanation will be the previously-stated reason by Øyvind:

" (I'm a very old man, you should know) "

Curiously, I wonder how old?

William Gill

Øyvind Granberg said:
To bad, but i can't use the src tag....
I don't wont to use PHP's include either....
Do you mean the src attribute? What could possibly inhibit this?

I understand (from various comments throughout this thread) your
hesitance to take on the challenge of mastering PHP, but the include
statement is one extremely simple statement. Simple enough that
Dreamweaver (also referenced elsewhere in this thread) recognizes it
without having a working "testing server." Yet you seem willing to take
on 50 some lines of javascript that some visitors will have disabled.

I highly recommend exploring the use of PHP include(). Keep in mind PHP
probably won't parse your page w/o changing the file name from index.htm
to index.php, or by adding a text file named ".htaccess" to your root
(home) directory with these two lines:

RemoveHandler .html .htm
AddType application/x-httpd-php .php .htm .html

This will make the server (unnecessarily) parse all your .htm files as
php but I seriously doubt you have enough pages or traffic for this to
be a hit to server performance.

As for your advanced age, well that is a state of mind. I think you
would be surprised at how many here are your contemporaries (though some
may not show it <g>).

Øyvind Granberg

I'm old enough to be a grandfather of five..

Personally I like to have the replies at the top because then I can read
them without scrolling trough the same conversation over and over again.
But if the customs here is to reply at the bottom I can do that to...
I'm not that old and stubborn.

But what really bugs me is that some people knock down on you for replying
at the top, and additionally fail to help you with you problem because of
that.
It's like those jerks commenting an article in a newspaper just to pinpoint
out the typos..
It makes me sick...
These persons seems to have no empathy for others at all.
If my one of my children straightened out one of our neighbors in a similar
way I would be ashamed...
We are all different, and lets accept that...

Please do not filter me out because my replies are at the top.
Rather filter me out for being rude or obnoxious!

--

Kind regards
Øyvind Granberg

(e-mail address removed)
www.tresfjording.com

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Øyvind Granberg said:
I'm old enough to be a grandfather of five..

I asked because age is not an excuse. I have grandchildren as well, and
have been retired for eight years.
Personally I like to have the replies at the top because then I can
read them without scrolling trough the same conversation over and
over again.

Learning proper trimming helps immensely. I believe it was the Germans
who coined the acronym TOFU. "Text Oben Fullquote Unten" (Text Over,
Fullquote Under). If you don't fullquote, there is not a problem.

If you only read a couple of threads per day, you might be able to
remember what was said in earlier posts in those threads. But consider
that many of us read hundreds of threads in many groups every day.
Reading your top-post reply to a post of two days ago, it is very likely
we will have to scroll down, see what you are replying to, then scroll
back up for your response.

Consider this as well:

open the front cover and begin reading there?
the back cover and end up at the front or do you
chapter one or do you start somewhere near
When reading a book, do you start at
But if the customs here is to reply at the bottom I can do that to...
I'm not that old and stubborn.

Well, get on with it!! (and not at the "bottom", but "inline" as I am
doing in this reply.
Please do not filter me out because my replies are at the top. Rather
filter me out for being rude or obnoxious!

Some equate your personal desires - which differ from the accepted
protocol of this group - as rude. Do as you wish, but you take your
chances. When in Rome...

William Gill

Øyvind Granberg said:
I'm old enough to be a grandfather of five..
As am I, but not so old as to cease learning.
Personally I like to have the replies at the top because then I can read
them without scrolling trough the same conversation over and over again.

None of us like scrolling through lines of repetition, ergo Dorayme's
comment "(after editing it for relevance)"
But if the customs here is to reply at the bottom I can do that to...

Another misinterpretation.
But what really bugs me is that some people knock down on you for
replying at the top, and additionally fail to help you with you problem
because of that.
It's like those jerks commenting an article in a newspaper just to
pinpoint out the typos..
It makes me sick...
These persons seems to have no empathy for others at all.

True, some don't, but in the main you will find most are quite
empathetic and helpful. However over time you see many new visitors who
don't take the time to or make the effort "learn the customs." After 9
newcomers have committed an offense it is, unfortunately number 10, that
receives the brunt of the growing impatience. Though I don't think that
is what occurred here since Dorayme is usually one who empathetically
renders aid to number 10.
If my one of my children straightened out one of our neighbors in a
similar way I would be ashamed...
We are all different, and lets accept that...

Please do not filter me out because my replies are at the top.
Rather filter me out for being rude or obnoxious!

Someone points out the accepted etiquette in a community, and you
respond "that's your problem". Are you being rude and obnoxious, or
just overly defensive? As a grandfather of five, I might hold my tongue
until I ascertained if the perceived offense was the fault of the
transmitter, or the receiver. Perhaps Dorayme (don't make gender
assumptions) could have elaborated on the use and purpose of appropriate
trimming and replying, or referred you to a page that does, and perhaps
you could have spent more time examining other questions and replies
throughout this NG to get a feel for the customs and personalities so
that you would be less likely to see a slight where none existed.

If you spend much time communicating in newsgroups or by email you will
discover that miscommunication is an inherent risk. We don't have
access to all the cues (body language, facial expression, tone, etc) of
a face to face conversation. That's one of the reasons for the advent
of emoticons.

Another problem arises from trying to achieve appropriate brevity, in
order to avoid long rambling soliloquies (not that Dorayme would ever
indulge in them anyway <g>).

dorayme

William Gill said:
As am I, but not so old as to cease learning.

None of us like scrolling through lines of repetition, ergo orayme's
comment "(after editing it for relevance)"

Correct and I come on here to claim compensation from both of you. From
Øyvind for doubting me and from you William for using a capital D in my
name. I will accept one grandchild from each of you (I like kids and you
might have 8 left between you, more than enough for a couple of old
codgers) <g>

William Gill

dorayme said:
Correct and I come on here to claim compensation from both of you. From
Øyvind for doubting me and from you William for using a capital D in my
name. I will accept one grandchild from each of you (I like kids and you
might have 8 left between you, more than enough for a couple of old
codgers) <g>

OP pease disregard what I sad about "...dorayme is usually one who
empathetically renders aid...