frames iframes and div...

Øyvind Granberg

hi...
Please redirect if I'm in the wrong NG... :)

In making a webpage frames are not recommended.
How do I get a css menu to open the target in a certain area other than
_self on the screen if I'm not to use frames?
DIV is not working because you can't name them...

Is iframes the only alternative?

--

Kind regards
Øyvind Granberg

(e-mail address removed)
www.tresfjording.com

C A Upsdell

Øyvind Granberg said:
hi...
Please redirect if I'm in the wrong NG... :)

In making a webpage frames are not recommended.
How do I get a css menu to open the target in a certain area other than
_self on the screen if I'm not to use frames?
DIV is not working because you can't name them...

Is iframes the only alternative?

It would help to know WHY you think you think that you can't simply go
to a new page when someone clicks a menu item.

Øyvind Granberg

You know... When you click on a menu item in the left column, the link
target will show in the middle frame.
Not on another page.. hhehe..

--

Kind regards
Øyvind Granberg

(e-mail address removed)
www.tresfjording.com

C A Upsdell

Øyvind Granberg said:
You know... When you click on a menu item in the left column, the link
target will show in the middle frame.
Not on another page.. hhehe..

And why not on another page? Is it impossible for you to replicate the
menu and other unchanging content on multiple pages?

dorayme

Øyvind Granberg said:
hi...
Please redirect if I'm in the wrong NG... :)

In making a webpage frames are not recommended.
How do I get a css menu to open the target in a certain area other than
_self on the screen if I'm not to use frames?
DIV is not working because you can't name them...

Is iframes the only alternative?

What do you mean about DIVS not working because you can't name them? You
can give them an ID.

See if any of these help you or give you an idea:

<http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/pseudoFrameLeftCol.html>

<http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/pseudoFrameLeftCol1.html>

<http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/pseudoFrameLeftCol2.html>

I have forgotten the difference between them but will look if you cannot
tell.

If you don't like them, you can use frames or iFrames and I will ride
shotgun on your coach as you go through all the frames-hating (and
shootin') little towns in the wild west... I will bring modern bullet
proof vests, and maybe an extra weapon like a grenade launcher to
quieten the bigger towns down...

But don't get the idea I come cheap.

Øyvind Granberg

My menus are changing. I add items to my site nearly every day and then I
need to put that new page somewhere in the menu. Having dozens of pages with
a menu that has to be edited is a litte troublesome.
If you visit my website www.tresfjording.com you'll see a menu to the left,
and a mainframe in the middle showing whatever you choose from the menu.

--

Kind regards
Øyvind Granberg

(e-mail address removed)

Øyvind Granberg

This is a nice css menu, and it works fone, exept that it has to be situated
in every page, instead of one.
One page with one menu to edit.
Much easier.
Why give your DIVs an id if you don't use that in your code?

--

Kind regards
Øyvind Granberg

(e-mail address removed)
www.tresfjording.com

Øyvind Granberg

I mean; You can give a DIV an id, but you can't use that id in the target
parameter in a href function. It won't work.
For that to happen you need to use frames or iframes... don't you?
Or is there another solution?

--

Kind regards
Øyvind Granberg

(e-mail address removed)
www.tresfjording.com

C A Upsdell

Øyvind Granberg said:
My menus are changing. I add items to my site nearly every day and then
I need to put that new page somewhere in the menu. Having dozens of
pages with a menu that has to be edited is a litte troublesome.
If you visit my website www.tresfjording.com you'll see a menu to the
left, and a mainframe in the middle showing whatever you choose from the
menu.

You should give a free magnifying glass to each of your visitors. The
menu and masthead font size is so small as to be unreadable: only 9px
high for characters with descenders!

As for the menu changing frequently: if you use a text editor, does it
not have a global search and replace function? Or if your host supports
server side includes, you can put the menu in one file and have it
included on all pages. I have sites with hundreds of pages, and I have
no difficulty updating changing menus.

Øyvind Granberg

Is that the only solution? PHP's include and search and replace in
Dreamweaver?

And for the font size, I think you're right.
I'll look into that...

--

Kind regards
Øyvind Granberg

(e-mail address removed)
www.tresfjording.com

C A Upsdell

Øyvind Granberg said:
Is that the only solution? PHP's include and search and replace in
Dreamweaver?

Its not so much that it is the *only* solution. Its that the use of
frames and iframes is fraught with so many problems that it is necessary
to strongly resist the temptation to use them, even when using them may
look like the easiest solution.

Neredbojias

To bad, but i can't use the src tag....
I don't wont to use PHP's include either....

Why not? That's probably the best solution to repeating a menu on
multiple pages.

Øyvind Granberg

Dreamweaver messes up the preview of php-files.

To avoid this I had this php server installed. It wasn't a optimal solution
concerning uploading files.
When saving an edited file I didn't know if I synched the local server or
the corresponding file on my domain.
My domain stopped the running of a rss2html php-file based on security
reasons.
And I don't bother to learn php programming.. (I'm a very old man, you
should know)

But apart from that it all worked fine...

It is very strange that html do not have a solution for this.
Besides frames and iframes that is...

--

Kind regards
Øyvind Granberg

(e-mail address removed)
www.tresfjording.com

Travis Newbury

If you visit my websitewww.tresfjording.comyou'll see a menu to the left,
and a mainframe in the middle showing whatever you choose from the menu.

< Evil Travis>
My God that site sucks. What the hell are you trying to prove with
that overly animated menu. Not only that, the text is all but
impossible to read, the dumb image that changed every few seconds give
me a headache, you choice of font is retarded at best. Your site is
the poster child for shitty websites. Technically you may be the
worlds greatest menu maker, but aesthetically you have failed. If
your were your website was a dessert it would be ass-**** pie a-la-
mode...
</Evil Travis>

<Nice Travis>
Hey, I found your website a little hard to navigate. The font was
rather hard for me to read, and the size was oh so small. But no
worries, I changed the zoom and I could kind of make it out. I love
what you did with that fancy menu. You really are the rage when it
comes to making a menu animated and fancy. And that little image in
the lower right that changes every few seconds? Well I have never
seen anything like that on the web before, you really are right there
on the cutting edge when it comes to website design.
</Nice Travis>

Come on, before you all jump all over me you know it is true. You may
not like my delivery, but the message is true. I am not saying it is
the worst site I have ever seen, but it is right there at the top of
the list.

Oh yea, if you celebrate when we kicked England's ass, have a happy
4th of July weekend!

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Travis Newbury
Oh yea, if you celebrate when we kicked England's ass, have a happy
4th of July weekend!

Happy 4th to you, too! We're going over to my cousin's house for smoked
turkey and fireworks at the local high school.

Neredbojias

Dreamweaver messes up the preview of php-files.

To avoid this I had this php server installed. It wasn't a optimal
solution concerning uploading files.
When saving an edited file I didn't know if I synched the local
server or the corresponding file on my domain.
My domain stopped the running of a rss2html php-file based on
security reasons.
And I don't bother to learn php programming.. (I'm a very old man,
you should know)

Hah! I remember, "Has anybody here seen Bubbles? -B-U-B-B-L-E-S! Has
anybody here seen Bubbles? Hey, Bubbles, where's your sorry ass
today?"
But apart from that it all worked fine...

....And the check's in the mail.
It is very strange that html do not have a solution for this.
Besides frames and iframes that is...

'Lotsa strange things about html, perhaps the strangest being the
people what made it up.

Øyvind Granberg

Answer to Evil Travis:
GFY! I make my site the way I want it...

Answer to Nice Travis:
Thank you, for your heartfelt advice.

To the bot of you:
Read the fu....ing subject!
Your replies didn't help at all.

--

Kind regards
Øyvind Granberg

(e-mail address removed)
www.tresfjording.com

Øyvind Granberg

I have used that include in a php code before. no big deal...

the rss2html problem was related to http://rsscontentbuilder.com/
They wanted the register_globals and register_long_arrays both turned on.
My host said NO!

I guess I have to do some thinking about how to make easily updated web
pages.........

--

Kind regards
Øyvind Granberg