Frames not updating

navin

Hi All,

the page i have created contains 3 frames. frame in left contains the
navigation links and i want to update the frame in center with the
content of the link when clicked.

However, whenever i click on the link, the content opens up in both
of
the left and center frame instead of the center frame.

Below html code is what i am using:

<head>
<title>Index</title>
</head>

<frameset rows="64,*" framespacing="0" border="0" frameborder="0">
<frame name="banner" scrolling="no" noresize
src="top_page.html"
frameborder="0">
<frameset cols="188,*">
<frame name="contents" src="collapse.html"
frameborder="0"
target="main">
<frame name="main" src="centre_page.html"
frameborder="0">
</frameset>
<noframes>

them.</p>

</noframes>
</frameset>

Please help.

thanks in advance,
navin

Chaddy2222

navin said:
Hi All,

the page i have created contains 3 frames. frame in left contains the
navigation links and i want to update the frame in center with the
content of the link when clicked.

However, whenever i click on the link, the content opens up in both
of
the left and center frame instead of the center frame.

Below html code is what i am using:
Don't post code, post a URL! Or better still read,
http://freewebdesign.awardspace.biz/wdto/old/why-frames-are-bad.php
and then visit, http://www.htmldog.com and learne how to code pages
properly.

dorayme

Chaddy2222 said:
navin wrote:
Don't post code, post a URL! Or better still read,
http://freewebdesign.awardspace.biz/wdto/old/why-frames-are-bad.php

As Chaddy says, you should post a url. And probably not use
frames.

But I am nostaligic and no one ever seems to ask about them.

You need to ensure that the file that sits behind the left frame
in which you are clicking the link that you want to appear to
your right, that you use target="theNameOfTheRightFrame".

(You are going to have some other trouble with your code for
other reasons, use a validator to check up on what attributes are
kosher.)

Something like this (simplified) should work:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Frameset//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/frameset.dtd">
<head>
<title>Shelta Australia</title>
</head>
<frameset rows="64,*">
<frame name="banner" src="top.html" frameborder="1">
<frameset cols="188,*">
<frame name="contents" src="left.html" frameborder="1">
<frame name="main" src="right.html" frameborder="1">
</frameset>
</frameset>

while in the file that sits in the left frame, something like
this:

"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<head>
<title>Some</title>
</head>
target="main">See me in right frame</a></div>