frameset and loss of session

David Shorthouse

Hey folks,

I have IIS running on a dynamic IP so have had to make use of
www.dyndns.org to make sure that a call to the site's WWW address will make
it to the appropriate IP. There is an option in the www.dyndns.org account
settings to mask a redirect, which essentially makes a frameset and hides
the actual WWW address. This is a nice feature, but the problem is I have a
number of asp forms that permit posting data to an Access database and I
pass a session variable between these pages to maintain a visitor's session.

So, in place of Response.Redirect, I used Server.Transfer, which seems
to work and preserves the frameset made by www.dyndns.org. The problem is,
once a visitor logs in to my login asp page, he/she is then redirected to a
user interface asp page of sorts with a number of buttons that direct
him/her to other asp pages. I have these buttons configured to redirect with
an onclick, such as onclick = "parent.location='mypage.asp'", but of course
that doesn't preserve the framset. I also tried onclick =
"parent.frames[1].location='mypage.asp'", but the session state gets
dropped. Is there any way to preserve the session state across asp pages
when in a frameset like this using buttons for onclick redirects?

Thanks for any advice,

Dave

Dave Anderson

David said:
Is there any way to preserve the session state across asp
pages when in a frameset like this using buttons for onclick
redirects?

Yes - by using any browser other than Internet Explorer (or by using
acceptible P3P headers).

Dave Anderson

David Shorthouse

Cool, thanks very much for this. I had no idea it was just IE6 that lead to
this.

Dave

David Shorthouse

Dave,

Works like a charm! Thanks again. Since you seem to be up on these
things, do you know how to do the opposite of busting a browser out of a
frame? In other words, all my pages should be in one master frameset such
that the address in the address bar is static through navigations within my
site. However, for some time before you taught me the solution to my earlier
problem, it's quite likely that folks have been bookmarking the daughter
pages instead of the frameset page. Is it possible to pop these visitors
back into the frameset if they bookmarked any of the daughter pages?
Something like a response header- if in daughter then redirect to
mother.....eesh, that could cause father to get the shotgun ;)~

Thanks,

Dave