Future of classic ASP

Kyle Peterson

remember that ASP also stands for "Application Service Provider" which is a
pretty huge term on it's own

--------

Here's the result of a bit of googling I did:

1,080,000,000 for allinurl: "asp"
1,120,000,000 for allinurl: "php"
588,000,000 for allinurl: "cfm"
528,000,000 for allinurl: "aspx"
419,000,000 for allinurl: "jsp"

It's not the most scientific of studies, I know, but the sheer volume
of existing classic ASP pages suggests it will be around for some time
yet. My experience suggests that the vast majority of these sites are
B2B sites, and it makes absolutely no sense to port these over to
dotnet just because dotnet is available. So they will stay classic asp
probably at least until they need to be completely re-written for
stategic or marketing reasons, and will need classic ASP developers'
skills to maintain and develop additional functionality. Having said
that, there is no reason why the additional functionality can't be done
in dotnet, if it's a modular piece of work. I am seeing increasing
amounts of classic ASP and dotnet being used in the same application.

In addition, the vast majority of small to medium businesses don't
actually care what technology is used to create their dynamic site - so
long as the functionality they want is there. So that leaves it open
to the development company to choose the technology. I read somewhere
that MS will still incorporate the classic ASP engine in at least the
next generation of servers, so that suggest no plans to "force" anyone
across to dotnet.

I had a go at dotnet with the first releases, and gave up with it to an
extent. The whole process of connecting to a database, generating a
recordset and binding it to something required considerably more code
than in classic ASP, so I couldn't see the point of moving across at
that time - certainly not from a productivity point of view. v2.0 is
completely different - especially with the freely available Visual Web
Developer Express.

Now it is something I am learning properly, although I'll stick with
Visual Basic.

Aaron Bertrand [SQL Server MVP]

remember that ASP also stands for "Application Service Provider" which is
a pretty huge term on it's own

I don't think it's all that common to have an Application Service Provider
page that has the acronym in the filename (e.g. a page on Application
Service Providers with a filename AllAboutASP.php). Probably not unheard
of, but I doubt it has any statistical relevance in this case.

Evertjan.

Aaron Bertrand [SQL Server MVP] wrote on 26 apr 2006 in
I don't think it's all that common to have an Application Service
Provider page that has the acronym in the filename (e.g. a page on
Application Service Providers with a filename AllAboutASP.php).
Probably not unheard of, but I doubt it has any statistical relevance
in this case.

allinurl:"asp" will in Google NOT trigger AllAboutASP.php

Mike Brind

Aaron said:
I don't think it's all that common to have an Application Service Provider
page that has the acronym in the filename (e.g. a page on Application
Service Providers with a filename AllAboutASP.php). Probably not unheard
of, but I doubt it has any statistical relevance in this case.

No, and as I said at the outset, it's not the most scientfiic of
studies. There were a number of results that did have urls like the
one you offer as an example, but they were pretty much all code and
tutorial sites. In these cases, php and asp will do slightly better in
the standings, because the name of the technology and the file suffix
are the same, whereas other technologies don't share this, uhmmm....
feature?

I think the effects of the odd anomolous result would be negated over
time, so that if the exercise was repeated at, say, 3 month intervals,
that might produce more accurate and meaningful data, for what it's
worth.