Garbage Reading String Fields

caterpillar

Hi All,

I have a Visual C++ 6.0 App. The compiler is running on Win98.
Recently all of my String fields started displaying a (?A) -- with a
tilde over the A -- whenever it tries to get a string from the DB. All
data is fine, the program compiles ok, and even runs ok on another
computer (xp). When I restore my OS backup and use the same source, it
works fine until I update the OS from the MS web site. Then it starts
with the garbage in the string fields again.

Has anyone noticed an incompatibility with VC++ 6.0 and recent Win98
updates? I am about to try a third time, where I will be able to note
which update(s) cause the problem. If anyone else has seen this, I
sure would like to know what to do about it.

Thanks in advance,
Bill Roman

Noah Roberts

caterpillar said:
Hi All,

I have a Visual C++ 6.0 App. The compiler is running on Win98.
Recently all of my String fields started displaying a (?A) -- with a
tilde over the A -- whenever it tries to get a string from the DB. All
data is fine, the program compiles ok, and even runs ok on another
computer (xp). When I restore my OS backup and use the same source, it
works fine until I update the OS from the MS web site. Then it starts
with the garbage in the string fields again.

None of this is topical here. Goto your local MS programming related
newsgroup.