GD::Graph: can't install cpan module

Cheez

Hi there, I can't seem to install the GD::Graph module using the AS
PPM. I would have expected this module to be available in the default
repositories however no search turns up GD. There is SVG-GD and other
variants of GD but no GD, the one, of course, I think I need!

When I try to 'use GD;' in a script I get this error (of course):

---------
Can't locate GD/Graph.pm in @INC (@INC contains: C:/Perl/lib
C:/Perl/site/lib .)
at graph_test.pl line 5.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at graph_test.pl line 5.
------------

I did find GD source code (GD.pm) on CPAN but I'm not sure exactly
what to do with it.

Any help in figuring out what's going would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

Sam Holden

Hi there, I can't seem to install the GD::Graph module using the AS
PPM. I would have expected this module to be available in the default
repositories however no search turns up GD. There is SVG-GD and other
variants of GD but no GD, the one, of course, I think I need!

When I try to 'use GD;' in a script I get this error (of course):

---------
Can't locate GD/Graph.pm in @INC (@INC contains: C:/Perl/lib
C:/Perl/site/lib .)
at graph_test.pl line 5.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at graph_test.pl line 5.

It's far more than just GD.pm, you need the entire tarball plus an
install of the gd C libraries plus a compiler (probably the same
one as was used to compile the perl you are using).

Any help in figuring out what's going would be greatly appreciated.

Activestate haven't got GD working with 5.8:

http://ppm.activestate.com/BuildStatus/5.8.html

Hence it isn't available. (by the way you are allowed to have a look
at ehri web site before asking here...)

A simple google reveals http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/ as a possible
source of GD for ActivePerl 8, and http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppmpackages/
for ActivePerl 6.

Cheez

On 27 Jan 2004 19:08:11 -0800, Cheez <[email protected]> wrote:[snip]
Hence it isn't available. (by the way you are allowed to have a look
at ehri web site before asking here...)

Hi Sam, thanks for the information. Just picked up Perl as a hobby and
as such, still a newbie to the whole realm. One comment, you really
don't have to reply to me in a tone that suggests I'm dumb or an
idiot. I did indeed look at the website but couldn't/didn't find what
I was looking for.

I do notice, in general, that the regulars on this NG really don't
have too much patience for newbies. Surely Perl is not only for the
elite. I could announce in each and every post that I am a newbie, but
I have observed that this usually puts a bullseye on the back of one's
post. I don't remark on this observation because I need sympathy - I
am thick skinned - but this group is hard core. What brings about
such a superiority complex? Are all programmers this way? I would
think that those in the "know" would want more people to enjoy the
nuances of Perl.

Anyhow, back to semi-lurker mode.

Thanks again for the information.
-Cheez

David K. Wall

Cheez said:
I do notice, in general, that the regulars on this NG really don't
have too much patience for newbies. Surely Perl is not only for the
elite. I could announce in each and every post that I am a newbie, but
I have observed that this usually puts a bullseye on the back of one's
post. I don't remark on this observation because I need sympathy - I
am thick skinned - but this group is hard core. What brings about
such a superiority complex? Are all programmers this way? I would
think that those in the "know" would want more people to enjoy the
nuances of Perl.

It's not superiority, I think, just impatience with perceived time-wasters.
People who ask FAQs when they've already been directed to the FAQ. People
who say "Perl sux, I r00l, you're all stupid, and BTW, can u help me with
this?" People who won't use modules when it would take less time for them
to read the module docs and write the code than it would for them
repeatedly post about why they don't use modules. People who insist on
doing something their way when others know from bitter experience that
*that* way will eventually create problems. And on and on. Some valued
contributors to this group have left because they finally became tired of
dealing with it.

From http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html, which is a pretty
good take on the subject:

"Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give
offence. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-bullshit
communications style that is natural to people who are more concerned about
solving problems than making others feel warm and fuzzy."

I didn't quite get warm fuzzies from Message-ID
<[email protected]>, but it was good to see.
The question was well-defined and the answer was succinct and accurate.