General Approaches to Localization of JavaScript messages ...

Kedar Mhaswade

I have seen a few approaches to general support for Localization in
JavaScript (for a large site in production). Some people bundle the
HTML pages and messages separately and reuse the script code.

What is the best practice as far as localization support is concerned?

Since the HTML and the script code is usually generated dynamically by
the server-side components and environments like Java have excellent
support for the locale-specific resource bundles, is it a good
strategy to:
- remember the locale though cookie
- return HTML pages and JavaScript code

that matches the given locale?

I have seen this approach implemented at one/two places and thought
there was no choice around it.

Comments?