Generating Certificates for assemblies

SteveM

A few questions from someone who hasn't done this before.

I run the following commands

makecert.exe -n "CN=Certifit" -sv yourkeypair.pvk yourcert.cer

cert2spc.exe yourcert.cer yourspc.spc

signtool.exe sign /a /s "Trusted Root Certification Authorities"
ConflictResolver.dll

signtool.exe verify /v /a ConflictResolver.dll

With the following output from the Verify command

Verifying: ConflictResolver.dll
Unable to verify this file using a catalog.
SignTool Error: A certificate chain processed, but terminated in a root
certificate which is not trusted by the trust provider.
Signing Certificate Chain:
Issued to: DEV\steve
Issued by: DEV\steve
Expires: 3/02/2007 3:57:43 p.m.
SHA1 hash: C9AB267C0701D83C6B2707EDFE92444E899D1A3E

File is not timestamped.
SignTool Error: File not valid: ConflictResolver.dll

Number of files successfully Verified: 0 Number of warnings: 0 Number of
errors: 1

1. Who or what is a trust provider?
2. How do I associate my certificate with one of these?
3. When I deploy to my client so, do I have to go through the same
hoo-haa as I have just been through or is this easily transferrable?

Fighting a losing battle so far so any help is appreciated.

Cheers
Steve

Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]

try to import that cert into the "trusted root CA folder" - using the certificates
MMC snapin.