Get image from Clipboard

Matthew Hood

I'm working on extending a bug tracking website and would like to be able to
get an image from the client's clipboard to store in an SQL database.

I already have all the options to upload the file inplace, but now my boss
wants to be able to take a screen-shot and click a button on the the webpage
that will get that image and save it to the server.

Any ideas or info on how I can accomplish this? I would really hate to
resort to creating something in ActiveX to do this.

TIA,
-Matt

Rick Strahl [MVP]

Matthew,

From within the browser you don't really have a choice but ActiveX. The
Browse ClipBoard only knows how to deal wtih Text, and even then in order to
use it you need elevated browser rights (clipboard usage is disabled in IE
locked down modes).

The way to do this would be to maybe use some external application like
SnagIt to provide the image capture functionality and then upload that image
captured, but even this couldn't be completely automated because the the
browser does not allow automating of HTTP uploads.

Overall it maybe the best option to create an ActiveX control that can
handle the image capture and upload with a nice UI.

+++ Rick ---

Rick Strahl
West Wind Technologies
www.west-wind.com