get value from asp:textbox inside Repeater

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by datakix, Aug 17, 2005.

  1. datakix

    datakix Guest

    After 16 hours of frustration, I've managed to solve this problem for a
    project I'm working on.

    The 'trick' is set EnableViewState="False" for the asp:textbox inside
    the Repeater control.

    The problem is that by default the asp:textbox ViewState is True. This
    means that the textbox value is automatically preserved between
    postback (saved in the __VIEWSTATE hidden field and restored during a
    page postback).

    If EnableViewState="True", the FindControl finds a 'copy'
    of the asp:textbox control with it's initial value; not the postback
    value. The postback value (whatever you type in the textbox AFTER the
    page has loaded seems to get overridden because there is already a
    control in memory with your texbox name). In my case FindControl
    returns the Text property of the textbox as "".

    Anyway, here's the solution:

    --------------------
    -------------------- ASPX
    --------------------
    <asp:Repeater
    ID="Repeater1"
    EnableViewState="False"
    runat="server">

    <ItemTemplate>

    <asp:TextBox
    ID="txtFirstName"
    runat="server"/>

    </ItemTemplate>

    </asp:Repeater>

    --------------------
    -------------------- C#
    --------------------
    foreach (RepeaterItem item in Repeater1.Items)
    {
    Response.Write( ((TextBox)item.Controls[1]).Text);
    }

    -------------------- OR

    foreach (RepeaterItem item in Repeater1.Items)
    {
    TextBox FirstName = (TextBox)item.FindControl("txtFirstName");
    Response.Write(FirstName.Text);
    }

    I'm using Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Beta running .NET
    version 2_0_50215 on Windows 2000 Professional.

    Hope this helps,
    Bill

    08.16.2005

    datakix, Aug 17, 2005

  2. datakix

    sanda

    Joined:
    May 16, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    thanks OP

    Just want to say, 5 years later, this post still helps me tremendously. Got stuck on the same issue for textbox inside repeater and this one clears it all.

    Thanks again.

    sanda, May 16, 2011

  3. datakix

    JohnnyC

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    I realize that I'm 6 years too late, but I just want to say that this post assisted me to solve the exact same problem. I only wish that I have found this earlier (2 days ago).

    Cheers JohnnyC

    JohnnyC, Aug 8, 2011