Getting a Foothold on the IDLE Debugger

W. Watson

I thought I try to step through some simple Python code I wrote with IDLE
using Debug. I'm at the early stages of learning Python. I used the shell to
Run, then clicked on Debug->Debugger. That brought up a window with Stack
and Locals checked. The buttons Go, Step, etc. are greyed out. How do I
proceed?

mensanator

I thought I try to step through some simple Python code I wrote with IDLE
using Debug. I'm at the early stages of learning Python. I used the shell to
Run, then clicked on Debug->Debugger. That brought up a window with Stack
and Locals checked. The buttons Go, Step, etc. are greyed out. How do I
proceed?

IDLE has a debugger? How about that.

After you start the debugger, go back to your program
and Run it. Watch the Debugger window.

W. Watson

How about that! Thanks. An odd way to do it, but IDLE is suitably odd with
respect to its namesake.

BTW, what's with the close and exit options on the File menu? They both dump
me out of IDLE. Odd. Any idea of whether I can "glue" the File-?Open to a
particular folder?

Any other similar programs with a better user interface for beginners?

I thought I try to step through some simple Python code I wrote with IDLE
using Debug. I'm at the early stages of learning Python. I used the shell to
Run, then clicked on Debug->Debugger. That brought up a window with Stack
and Locals checked. The buttons Go, Step, etc. are greyed out. How do I
proceed?

IDLE has a debugger? How about that.

After you start the debugger, go back to your program
and Run it. Watch the Debugger window.

Gabriel Genellina

BTW, what's with the close and exit options on the File menu? They both
dump
me out of IDLE. Odd.

Try File|New
Any idea of whether I can "glue" the File-?Open to a
particular folder?

Mmm, no. But it remembers the last used directory.
Any other similar programs with a better user interface for beginners?

Try PyScripter (Windows only, I think). People say that SPE (Stani's
Python Editor, multiplatform) is good too.

Nir

I thought I try to step through some simplePythoncode I wrote with IDLE
using Debug. I'm at the early stages of learningPython. I used the shell to
Run, then clicked on Debug->Debugger. That brought up a window with Stack
and Locals checked. The buttons Go, Step, etc. are greyed out. How do I
proceed?

Proceed to the Winpdb Python debugger.
http://www.winpdb.org

(Runs on Linux as well)