Getting columns to size in tables

Don Wiss

I am having problems getting my table columns to properly size when one of
the columns is lacking in text. All code is produced by a custom program.

In this example it works the way I want. The column of google ads fits
within its box to the right and when you resize the browser window all
stays aligned. Note ample text in Caption column.

http://www.donwiss.com/pictures/pemmican/

Now in this one all the captions are short. So I padded one of the captions
with a lot of  . But it pushed the google ads way to the right, and if
you have a narrow browser window they are clipped.

http://www.donwiss.com/pictures/pemmican3/

Then this example has short captions, and no padding. You can see there is
extra space to the right of the google ad box.

http://www.donwiss.com/pictures/Carnival-2003/

So what is the way to handle this so when all captions are short it still
performs like long captions?

Thanks, Don <donwiss at panix.com>.

Nik Coughin

Don said:
I am having problems getting my table columns to properly size when
one of the columns is lacking in text. All code is produced by a
custom program.

In this example it works the way I want. The column of google ads fits
within its box to the right and when you resize the browser window all
stays aligned. Note ample text in Caption column.

http://www.donwiss.com/pictures/pemmican/

Now in this one all the captions are short. So I padded one of the
captions with a lot of &nbsp;. But it pushed the google ads way to
the right, and if you have a narrow browser window they are clipped.

http://www.donwiss.com/pictures/pemmican3/

Then this example has short captions, and no padding. You can see
there is extra space to the right of the google ad box.

http://www.donwiss.com/pictures/Carnival-2003/

So what is the way to handle this so when all captions are short it
still performs like long captions?

Thanks, Don <donwiss at panix.com>.

Make the width of the cell with the caption 100%. Don't set widths for the
other cells. The other cells will take up as much room as they need to and
the caption cells will expand to fill the remaining space.

Nik Coughin

Nik said:
Make the width of the cell with the caption 100%. Don't set widths
for the other cells. The other cells will take up as much room as
they need to and the caption cells will expand to fill the remaining
space.

Width of the *cells* in the caption column was what I meant.