Getting Started w/ Standard C++ in Microsoft VC++ 6.0?

Bill Hoy

Hi,

I have a few years of experience using MFC and Microsoft Visual C++
6.0. As my company gets further into the software business they now
want to start moving away from MFC, and use pure Standard C++. I have a
code project created in Microsoft Visual C++ that needs MFC stripped out
of it. Not a huge project - only about 10 or so files.

I've been reading a bit about Standard C++, and I was wondering if
anyone could point me to some documents or help as to how to start using
Standard C++ from within Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0. For starters, I
realize all my "CStrings" will have to become
"string" File by file I will have to remove CStrings, makes sense.

I understand about using the #include <xyz>. And I see that I will have
to use: "using namespace std" But I am not sure what else I have to set
up in the Microsoft Developer Studio. Perhaps I have to start a new
project/workspace that is just a W32 Application? What do I need to
link to in the Project Settings > Link tab? What else do I need to do
to so that it recognizes the namespace "std" ?

I realize this is probably a very basic question, but I am confused as
to where to start. Anything to get me started will help.

Thanks,
Bill

(e-mail address removed)

Howard

Bill Hoy said:
[...]

First, let me strongly suggest that you upgrade to a later VC++ version!
Version 6 is know to be non-conforming in many respects (that is, it doesn't
correctly follow the standard to which you say you're going to be adhering).

Next, you'd be best off asking this in a vc++ newsgroup, (which are
available on the news.microsoft.com newserver).

I do think that you're correct that starting a new project is in order, but
as to the type, that will depend on your requirements. For example, if
you're *really* sticking to the standard, and not having any Windows GUI
code, then a console (or even an empty) project would be better, most
likely. If you use a Win32 project, I think that means you're using some of
the WIndows GUI code, which is *not* part of the standard, since the
standard has no GUI concepts. BUt as I said, a Microsoft newsgroup is a
better place for such info.

-Howard

fuzzylollipop

Howard is right, before you can even begin to write "standards
compliant" C++ you need the latest MS compiler.

Mike Hewson

Bill said:
[...]

You can wedge in another compiler ( say Comeau's which is very
conforming ) as a 'tool', and keep the VC++ IDE etc. But as that's OT
here, I suggest http://www.comeaucomputing.com/ , or email me.

If it's 'only about 10 or so files' then the other alternative is to
keep the design ideas and rewrite de-novo.